Deadline: 19 December 2013
Open to: students presently enrolled in an accredited college level Architectural or Interiors program
Awards: US $10,000 first prize including US$3,000 cash, 4-week paid internship at Fentress Architects, coach round-trip airfare, and lodging during the internship; US $1,000 for second prize
Fentress Global Challenge is an international competition created to stimulate students worldwide in the exploration of future design possibilities in public architecture. In its third annual competition, students are invited to envision Fentress Architects’ concept of Upcycled Architecture.
Upcycled Architecture is defined as the art of redesigning an existing structure for purposes other than those for which it was originally intended. Upcycled Architecture additionally advances an existing building’s sustainable, dynamic, and programmatic uses.
Social and economic changes are creating phenomenal possibilities to upcycle our old structures. Buildings typically outlive their original purposes and today’s architects face the challenge of creatively bringing new life and function to them. Upcycled Architecture offers the chance to embrace our past designs while looking to the future for more adaptive uses.
All students presently enrolled in an accredited college level Architectural or Interiors program are invited to participate. Recent 2013 graduates that are not employed at an architecture, interior design, engineering or construction firm may also enter. Individuals and teams with a maximum of three members are eligible. Only one registration is necessary for each team.
1st Place – US$10,000 prize and a certificate of merit (US$10,000 prize includes US$3,000 cash, 4-week paid internship at Fentress Architects, coach round-trip airfare, and lodging at a location of Fentress’ discretion for the duration of the paid internship).
The 1st Place student or team will gain exposure to the architectural industry with an internship at Fentress Architects, an award-winning international architectural and interior design firm. If the 1st place winner is from outside the U.S., that individual(s) is responsible for obtaining necessary visa and paperwork; Fentress Architects will provide a letter stating the offer for internship. If a team is selected as the 1st Place winner, all team members will be offered internships, however the total first prize amount of US$10,000 prize will be split between all members of the team. Internship details will be arranged with the winning team.
2nd Place – US$1,000 cash prize and a certificate of merit.
3rd Place – US$500 cash prize and a certificate of merit.
People’s Choice – US$300 cash prize and a certificate of merit.
Honorable Mention – Certificate of merit.
Winning designs will be exhibited at A+D Architecture and Design Museum in Los Angeles, California. Exhibition dates are to be determined.
All interested applicants are required to register online by Thursday 19 December 2013 (24:00 MST). Fill out the registration form available HERE. Registration is free. You will automatically be emailed a registration number to use for your final submission.
Only one submission per individual or team. The official language is English. The design concept shall be submitted online by 16 January 2014 in PDF format, including:
- Two boards with project information including project title, location, plans, sections, drawings, elevations, and perspectives.
- Boards should be 24” h X 48” w in HORIZONTAL format
- The resolution of the boards must be 150 dpi, RGB mode, and saved as one PDF file
- Renderings must evoke an emotive quality using innovative techniques
- Diagrams that describe how the project addresses the competition challenge statement
- Registration number located clearly in the upper right corner of both boards
- Text must be no smaller than 12 point font
- The file must be named after the registration number. For example: 2013FGC0000.pdf
- PDF file containing the project statement (600 words max). This file must be named after the registration number followed by the word “statement”. For example: 2013FGC0000STATEMENT.pdf
- PDF file containing copy of student ID(s). This file must be named after the registration number followed by the word “ID”. For example: 2013FGC0000ID.pdf
- Digital file may be no larger than 15MB
Finalists will be required to submit a three minute digital video that presents their design to the jury.
For further information, please visit the official website HERE.