Deadlines: 15 January 2014 and 10 July 2014
Open to: salaried or freelance journalists in print, electronic or broadcast media from any country
Fellowship: travel, accommodation, work space and a daily meal
The National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent) is a non-profit science center dedicated to cross-disciplinary research in evolution. Funded by the National Science Foundation, NESCent is jointly operated by Duke University, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and North Carolina State University.
Journalists are invited to apply for a new fellowship program at the NESCent in Durham, North Carolina, USA. The program offers a unique opportunity for reporters, producers, and editors to work on an ambitious, exciting project of their own choosing with an evolutionary focus (books, or a series of articles, for instance). You will interact with world experts in a wide range of evolutionary topics including human evolution, evolutionary medicine, paleontology, biodiversity, conservation, astrobiology, and climate change.
As a NESCent journalist-in-residence, you’ll have time to explore diverse areas of evolutionary science or delve deeply into a single topic. You are also welcome to participate in a variety of scientific meetings, seminars and other learning experiences, as well as enjoy quiet time for reading and independent study.
Fellowships are open to salaried or freelance journalists in print, electronic or broadcast media. Journalists of all nationalities are welcome to apply.
Journalists-in-residence will receive support for travel to and from NESCent, a housing allowance for the duration of their visit, and a meal per diem. You will also be provided with office space at NESCent, located in a historic textile mill in a vibrant university community at the edge of the Duke University campus. To most benefit from the in-house and visiting scientific community at NESCent, those selected for the program should plan to be on-site at the center for a minimum of three days per week during their fellowship.
Proposals are considered twice a year, with deadlines on 15 January and 10 July. The earliest start date is two and a half months after proposal submission. Proposals should be submitted electronically HERE as a single pdf file. Please login HERE first to create a profile. Project proposals should include the following information:
- Name and contact information. If you have a website page linked to your name (e.g., institutional, organizational, or your own homepage), please include that information as well.
- Media organization(s). If freelance, please list some of the media organizations for which you have recently completed assignments.
- A brief sketch of your intended project, whether it’s an article, a series of articles, or a book with an evolutionary focus. It’s not necessary to have a contract or accepted story proposal at this time. Two pages maximum; if you have an intended target publication(s), please specify.
- A project summary, 250 words maximum. This is a public summary for display on the NESCent website.
- What specific research, reporting or writing toward this project will your time at NESCent enable you to do? (250 words maximum).
- Proposed timetable. Please include your preferred dates for residency at NESCent (start date, month and year).
- Professional references. Please list three, along with an e-mail address or phone number where we can contact them.
- Examples of recent work. Please copy or provide Web links to three articles or assignments you have completed in the last two years, or to older work if you feel it is more pertinent. If you prefer, you can also mail these articles to us at: Journalist-in-Residence Program, National Evolutionary Synthesis Center, 2024 West Main St. Suite A200, Durham, NC 27705.
- How did you hear about this program?
- Professional experience. Please include a copy of your current resume or curriculum vitae. If you have completed other fellowship programs or if you have won any awards for your journalism, please list them.
For further information, please visit the official website HERE.