Deadline: 7 January 2014
Open to: candidates with university degree and experience in communications and advocacy environment
Remuneration: salary commensurate with experience
The European Roma Rights Centre (ERRC) is recruiting for two new posts, an Advocacy Coordinator and an Advocacy Officer. The positions are both based in Budapest, Hungary. The successful applicant is expected to start no later than the end of February 2014.
The ERRC is a public interest law organisation that defends the human rights of Roma throughout Europe and serves as a legal resource centre for advocates working in this field. The ERRC pursues its objectives by engaging in legal representation, research, monitoring and reporting, human rights education and international advocacy. The ERRC works currently in more than a dozen countries in Europe and would like to strengthen its advocacy activities promoting equal access to rights for Roma.
The Advocacy Coordinator is responsible for the ERRC’s work ensuring that human rights issues facing Romani communities are firmly on the political agenda in Europe and beyond, in the context of specific campaigns and through other advocacy activities.
Reporting to the Advocacy Coordinator, the Advocacy Officer helps to ensure the highest standards in the delivery of ERRC advocacy activities and in the use of communications tools.
The main responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and contribute to the advocacy work of ERRC;
- Ensure the effectiveness of the ERRC’s use of electronic media;
- Assist with training and capacity-building;
- Commission the editing, design and proof reading work from external providers as required;
- Deal with media queries (in conjunction with Media Coordinator) and implement proactive media strategies to enhance media coverage of the ERRC;
- Perform other tasks as requested.
- University degree in communications, public relations, human rights, or a related field;
- At least five years experience (Advocacy Coordinator) or two years experience (Advocacy Officer) working in a communications and advocacy environment;
- Excellent English language writing, editing and speaking skills required; ability to present ERRC positions concisely; other languages desirable;
- Proven experience in developing and implementing human rights based advocacy;
- Proven experience drafting and editing communications materials for a variety of audiences;
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant issues, structures and contacts; proven ability to cultivate contacts and develop networks;
- Social media and multi-media knowledge;
- Attentiveness to deadlines, flexible and able to deal with high workload;
- Strong team player; proven ability to work in a diverse team; able to work independently;
- Significant experience living and working in Romani communities is desirable;
- Demonstrated commitment to the promotion of Roma rights; and
- Willingness to travel for work, either alone or with colleagues.
The ERRC is committed to equal opportunity for all. Romani candidates are particularly encouraged to apply for this position.
Based at the ERRC office in Budapest, the remuneration level for this full time position shall be commensurate with experience. In accordance with the annual budget approved by the board of directors, ERRC employees are provided fringe benefits and access to a professional development fund.
Application deadline: 23:00 CET, 07 January 2014. Applications received after this date will not be considered. Short-listed applicants will be notified within one week of the deadline; applicants who are not shortlisted will not be contacted.
Qualified candidates should send the following application materials; persons submitting incomplete application packages will not be considered for the position:
- Letter of interest (in English, maximum 500 words)
- Detailed CV in English;
- Contact details for two present or former employers (from immediate supervisor) and one other relevant referee; and
- An unedited English-language writing sample by the applicant (preferably human rights focused).
Submit to: Dora Eke – ERRC Advocacy Coordinator Search or ERRC Advocacy Officer Search
For more information visit the official website HERE.