Deadline: 29 January 2014
Open to: international candidates with excellent writing and communication skills
Remuneration: minimum-wage salary, commensurate with experience
PILnet The Global Network for Public Interest Law is seeking a full-time legal & communications trainee to work from its Budapest office for at least 6 months (12 months preferred). The successful candidate will work closely with PILnet’s legal and communications staff to further PILnet’s pro bono program. This position will provide the trainee with experience working for an international NGO in a fast-paced environment.
PILnet envisions a world where the rule of law delivers justice and protects human rights. PILnet collaborates with local partners around the globe to develop the legal landscape essential to rights-respecting societies. It provides lawyers with the tools they need to challenge injustice, strengthens the ability of citizens to shape law and policy, and connects a global community of activist lawyers who are using law to advance change. PILnet has offices in Beijing, Budapest, Moscow and New York.
The duties of the trainee will include:
- Conducting research and outreach with law firms, corporations and NGOs across the world to support PILnet’s Global and Hungarian Pro Bono Clearinghouses;
- Assisting with the organization and promotion of PILnet’s 2014 European Pro Bono Forum;
- Generating ideas for web content, Facebook, and other social media networks;
- Maintaining and updating PILnet’s contacts database (CiviCRM);
- Other administrative, writing and editing duties as assigned.
- Be highly motivated, detail-oriented and have the ability to work on one’s own initiative;
- Have excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- Have a demonstrated interest in human rights and access to justice issues;
- Be working toward or possess a post-graduate degree in law, human rights, political science, communications, or related fields;
- Have drafting and editing skills for texts targeting external audiences;
- Be fluent in English—Hungarian is an advantage but not required;
- Have basic HTML, JOOMLA and/or graphic design skills (preferable but not required).
PILnet offers a minimum-wage salary, commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter, CV, and a one-page unedited writing sample to [email protected] by 29 January 2014.
Start date a.s.a.p. ideally on or before 17 February 2014.