Deadline: 11 February 2014
Open to: aspiring photographers and photojournalists over 18 years old
Award: Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone and all expenses paid trip to attend a Mobile Journalism training course
The Thomson Reuters Foundation uses its unique set of skills to run a number of groundbreaking programmes aimed at empowering people through news, information, free legal assistance and media development. The Foundation stands for human rights, women’s empowerment, better governance, greater transparency, and for the rule of law. Providing concrete solutions, the Thomson Reuters Foundation achieves a real impact.
The Thomson Reuters Foundation and Nokia are inviting aspiring photographers and photojournalists to submit images capturing the many aspects of women’s empowerment around the world. This is an incredible opportunity for enthusiastic and ambitious photographers to use pictures to spark positive debate on women’s rights, and to help foster social change.
Photographers are encouraged to explore themes such as: leadership, courage, passion, opportunity, innovation and motherhood. Women do not enjoy the same rights and opportunities everywhere. Tell a story. Show the world a positive image to inspire and trigger change.
This call is open to any aspiring photographer and photojournalist who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry no matter their background.
Ten finalists will be selected and asked to put the Nokia Lumia 1020 to the test, using the outstanding photo capabilities of the smartphone to create a portfolio of images illustrating women’s empowerment. From these ten finalists, one photographer will be chosen, and will receive:
- The very first Thomson Reuters Foundation-Nokia Award;
- An all expenses paid trip to attend a Mobile Journalism training course organized by the Thomson Reuters Foundation and led by professional journalists;
- A Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone;
- Exclusive opportunity to have your work published on Thomson Reuters Foundation’s award-winning website trust.org and across the Thomson Reuters Foundation and Nokia’s social media channels;
- Exclusive opportunity to have your work/portfolio reviewed by the Thomson Reuters Foundation multimedia team.
Community choice: The photographer with the highest number of votes will receive:
- A brand new Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphone;
- A copy of the 2013 edition of the ‘Reuters Our World Now’ photobook, capturing the year in 300 powerful photos.
Submit your entry by Tuesday, 11 February 2014.
Fill in the online application form and upload you photograph, following this guidelines:
- Participants must submit: Photography JPG or PNG (5MB Max) which can be taken on any device;
- Photography submitted must be original (meaning not using third party copyright materials) but can be pre-existing or created especially for this opportunity;
- Participants must include a description about their submission including which device it was captured on.
For further information please visit the official website.