Deadline: Deadline extended until 15 March, 2014
Open to: full-time college or university students
Award: winners participate in a 5 day International Youth Forum in New York and present their work at the United Nations Headquarters
The United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI), in collaboration with ELS Educational Services, Inc., (ELS) invites students, 18 years of age or older, who are enrolled in a full-time course of study at a college or university, to participate in an essay contest on the theme “Many Languages, One World”.
The essay should relate to ideas of global citizenship and understanding and to the role that multilingual ability can play in fostering these. Entries of up to 2000 words in length must be in an official language of the United Nations that is not the entrant’s first language or language of instruction in his or her primary or secondary education. The official languages of the United Nations are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
- Full-time college or university students, 18 years of age or older, can participate in the contest;
- An authorized faculty member or university administrator must sponsor your participation in the contest by completing the Reference Form. The university representative must attest that you are a full time student and that you are going to submit an essay in an official language of the United Nations that is not your first language or language of instruction in your primary or secondary education;
- Once the reference has been received and confirmed, you will be sent an email with further instructions about how to enter the contest and upload your essay.
A panel of judges will decide upon a total of sixty student winners of the competition – 10 in each of the six languages. The winners will be invited to New York in 2014 to participate in a series of events between June 25 and June 29, 2014. These events will include a Global Youth Forum on the 10 principles of the United Nations Academic Impact, multilingualism and global citizenship at the United Nations Headquarters, preceded by a preparatory students’ conference. Sightseeing and recreation will also be arranged by ELS.
All winners will be given certificates of participation by ELS, signifying they have won the Student Essay Contest arranged in cooperation with the United Nations Academic Impact.
ELS will pay for round-trip economy class fares in carriers of its choosing between the commercial airport nearest the winner’s home city and New York, and be responsible for the winner’s travel, room and meals from their arrival on June 25th until their departure on June 29th, 2014. No extensions of stay or early arrivals will be possible. Winners are responsible for all documentation relating to their journey, including passports and visas and the costs related to these, as well as appropriate medical insurance for their journey and stay in the United States.
It is your responsibility to obtain a passport and visa to enter the USA. You will be required to comply with the rules and regulations of participation in the event. Your e- ticket will only be issued to you after we receive copies of your passport and a signed copy of your acceptance of the terms and conditions of participation.
- Write your essay, according to the eligibility rules and guidelines;
- Show your essay to a Faculty Member or University Administrator who can attest to the fact that you have followed the contest rules. Have that Faculty Member or University Administrator complete the Reference Form in support of your participation in the contest;
- Once the Reference Form has been received and verified by Many Languages, One World, you will receive further information, and a link where you can complete your application and upload your essay to the contest website;
- Complete your application form. Be sure to include your national identity card number or passport number showing your name as it appears on your passport or official documents. Do not submit your photo;
- Upload your essay to the contest website.
For any further questions, check the FAQ section.
Visit the official web-site.