Deadline: 25 March 2014
Open to: international applicants interested in Russia-UK issues
Venue: 9-11 June 2014, St. Petersburg, Russia
The 6th International Peter the Great Congress “Russia-UK: Five Centuries of Cultural Relations” is to be held in St Petersburg, 9-11 June 2014. It will form part of the official programme of the bi-lateral UK/Russia Year of Culture.
The object of the Russia-UK Congress is to open new pages in the history of cultural relations between our two countries, to affirm the mutual benefits of cultural cooperation, and to initiate new cultural projects.
At the Congress the following areas are proposed as subjects for discussion:
- The British contribution to Russian culture, science and technology. Cultural and scientific interchange;
- The British colony in St Petersburg and other towns in the Russian Empire;
- The Russian theme in English literature; Britain and the British in Russian literature;
- Interchange in the arts: literature, music, performing arts, architecture painting, films;
- Russo-British contacts as exemplified in museum collections, book holdings, natural history and mineral collections, exhibitions;
- Russians in Britain, the British in Russia. Mutual images and stereotypes. Tourism and exploration.
The working languages of the Congress are Russian and English.
The Organizing Committee will provide accommodation and subsistence in St. Petersburg from 8 to 12 June 2014 for out-of-town and foreign participants.
In order to take part in the Congress it is essential to submit before 25 March 2014 an application that provides the following details: full name, place of employment and position, contact details (e-mail;home and mobile telephone numbers; fax) and a short synopsis of the proposed paper (1000-1800 characters).
Contact: [email protected]
For more information visit the official website HERE.