Deadline: 31 March, 2014
Open to: Journalists who are native to one of the developing countries in Africa, Asia, South America and the Caribbean and who currently live and write for media in a developing country, aged 25 to 35
Fellowship: includes the cost of travel and accommodations in New York, as well as a per diem allowance
The Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists is now accepting applications from professional journalists from developing countries for its 2014 fellowship program. The application deadline is March 31, 2014.
The fellowships are available to radio, television, print and web journalists, age 25 to 35, from developing countries who are interested in coming to New York to report on international affairs during the 69th session of the United Nations General Assembly. The fellowships will begin in early September and extend to late November and will include the cost of travel and accommodations in New York, as well as a per diem allowance.
Four journalists are selected each year after a review of all applications. The journalists who are awarded fellowships are given the incomparable opportunity to observe international diplomatic deliberations at the United Nations, to make professional contacts that will serve them for years to come, to interact with seasoned journalists from around the world, and to gain a broader perspective and understanding of matters of global concern. Many past fellows have risen to prominence in their professional and countries. The program is not intended to provide basic skills training to journalists, as all participants are media professionals.
Eligible are candidates who:
- Are native of one of the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. For 2013 only, the Fund will not accept applications from the countries of the 2013 Fellows – Brazil, Kenya, Pakistan and Turkey — in an effort to rotate recipient countries;
- Currently live in and write for media in a developing country;
- Are between the ages of 25 and 35;
- Have a very good command of the English language since United Nations press conferences and many documents are in English only;
- Are currently employed full-time as professional journalists for print, television, radio or internet media organizations;
- Have approval from their media organizations to spend up to three months in New York reporting from the United Nations;
- Receive a commitment from their media organizations that the reports they file during the term of the Fellowship will be used and that they will continue to be paid as employees.
How to Apply?
You will need to include all documents required and listed HERE along with your application. Applications without any of the listed required documents will not be considered. Application form can also be taken from HERE.
Email applications cannot be accepted. An originally completed AND signed application, along with all six (6) of the Documentation Requirements, should be sent by postal or courier service (such as DHL, Fedex, Airborne) to:
Dag Hammarskjöld Fund for Journalists
512 Northampton Street, No. 124A
Edwardsville, PA 18704 USA
Questions about the program, eligibility and application process can be directed by email to [email protected]