Deadline: 15 August 2014
Open to: young women scientists from Sub-Saharan Africa and least developed countries
Fellowship: travel and visa costs, monthly allowance, medical insurance
The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) has instituted a fellowship programme for female students who wish to pursue postgraduate training leading to a PhD, at centers of excellence in developing countries, except their own. This opportunity is possible thanks to funds provided by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.
The general purpose of the program is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology, and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries. The specific aims of the scheme are to improve access to educational and training opportunities in science and technology for young and talented women graduates; increase the productivity and creativity of scientists in Sub-Saharan Africa and least developed countries; and empower a new generation of women to assume a leadership role in science and technology and their application to sustainable development.
The fellowships are open to qualified young (usually under the age of 40) women graduated in science from countries in Sub-Saharan Africa or least developed countries (Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros Islands, Democratic Republic of Congo,Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos,Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Yemen and Zambia).
Other conditions are:
- The host institute where the applicant wishes to pursue her doctorate degree must be in a developing country other than her own;
- The minimum qualification of applicants is a MSc degree or equivalent, or a BSc honours degree, in the natural sciences, engineering or information technology disciplines;
- Applicants already living in the host country will not be considered eligible;
- The applicant must be willing to return to her own country after completion of the fellowship.
Each fellowship will be offered for up to 3 years and will cover the following:
- Travel expenses to and from the host institute;
- A monthly allowance to cover accommodation and meals while in the host country, the amount of which will be determined in consultation with the host institution;
- Attending one international conference during the period of the fellowship;
- Refund of visa costs;
- A contribution for medical insurance.
The deadline for application is 15 august 2014.
Interested candidates must fill in the application form and enclose copies of all university degree certificates, and the university-issued transcripts, which should include grades, courses taken, etc. If the applicant has already gained admission at an institution of excellence, a copy of the letter of acceptance from the institution must be enclosed. Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information please visit the official website.