Deadline: 30 September 2014
Open to: applicants enrolled in a PhD programme in economics or related social sciences
Remuneration: 1,500 € per month plus travel allowance
World Institute for Development Economics Research of the United Nations University (UNU-WIDER) is the first research and training centre of the United Nations University (UNU), established in Helsinki, Finland in 1984.
The UNU-WIDER PhD Research Internship Programme gives registered doctoral students an opportunity to utilize the resources and facilities at UNU-WIDER for their PhD dissertation or thesis research, and to work with UNU-WIDER researchers in areas of mutual interest.
The selected interns are expected to spend 2-3 months in Helsinki and return to their home institution afterwards, pursue research on a mutually agreed topic, contribute to UNU-WIDER’s research-related activities, give seminars on their research findings etc.
- be currently enrolled in a PhD programme;
- be fluent in oral and written English;
- have shown ability to conduct research on developing or transition economies (candidates working in other social sciences may apply but should keep in mind that UNU-WIDER is an economics-focused institute);
- have good analytical skills.
Preference is given to applicants who are living or working in developing countries and who are at later stages of the PhD.
The intern will be provided a travel grant, medical insurance, and a monthly stipend of EUR 1,500 to cover living expenses in Helsinki during the period of their internship.
The application deadline is 30 September 2014.
UNU-WIDER only receives online applications. The link to the online application form will only become active one month prior to the submission deadline.
During the application procedure applicants should submit:
- Application form;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter of reference from their supervisor;
- Research proposal for internship.