Deadline: 31 October 2014
Open to: candidates with good working knowledge in English and German, and who have completed a university/college degree prior to the start of the traineeship
Traineeship: up to 1.885 Euros per month
Deutsche Welle’s newly-designed traineeship takes you around the world in just 18 months. Internships with the English and German editorial departments will give you a chance to look into economic and cultural issues as well as news and sports. You’ll also be active in at least one of DW’s other broadcast language departments such as the Chinese, Farsi or Spanish department, and support them according to your language skills. Regardless of the language you’re working in you will be part of the editorial teams right from day one, writing and producing reports and conducting interviews for television, radio and online.
DW is looking for candidates who:
- Have completed a university or college degree prior to the start of the traineeship;
- Experience in field is a plus but not mandatory;
- Meets one of the language criteria:
- Native speaker of English who has acquired a basic working knowledge of German;
- Native speaker of German who is fluent in English;
- Native speaker of another language that is part of DW’s language services – especially Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, French, Russian or Spanish. You also need a good working knowledge of English and German.
Along with English and German, all applicants require a good working knowledge of at least one additional DW language.
During the first six months of the traineeship you earn a pre-tax monthly salary of 1.590 euros. That increases to 1.790 euros for the following six months, and to 1.855 euros for the final six months. The 18-month multimedia traineeship is for online, radio and television, and comprises:
- six months of theory and practice-oriented seminar blocks held in English and German and conducted by working journalists;
- nine months of placements with various DW editorial departments in Bonn, Berlin and in one of the foreign bureaus in Brussels, Washington or Moscow;
- a one-month placement with DW’s partner broadcaster, Deutschlandradio;
- four week of vacation.
Interested candidates can apply via their online application system and create account, and provide the required information and documents.
For more information please check the official website