Deadline: 30 October 2014
Open to: young people with good English and basic Spanish language skills
Benefits: a living stipend, health insurance, teacher training, and ongoing professional development
The Atlas Corps 2015 Volunteers Colombia Fellowship is an 11-month English teaching opportunity in Colombia for emerging professionals. Fellows learn leadership skills in an international context while inspiring English language skills in Colombian youth. In addition to full-time teaching, Fellows participate in ongoing professional development activities offered by Atlas Corps through the Global Leadership Lab and Volunteers Colombia.
The 11-month program (10 months of active service and 1 months of holiday over the course of the experience), includes arriving in Colombia approximately January 12 and leaving December 15, 2015. Participants will work at SENA facilities throughout Colombia. Several placement cities will be announced. Applicants will learn more about specific cities during the application process.
- Teach and/or co-teach with a local Colombia English instructor 25 hours per week of English instruction, including teaching, co-teaching, and conversation clubs
- Participate in a two-way learning process in about 15 hours per week to improve English proficiency, which may include administrative-related activities, such as lesson planning, meetings with fellow teachers, paperwork, etc.
- Attend Volunteers Colombia and Atlas Corps training days, schedule will coordinate with placement site.
- Develop reports and follow up processes, as the supervisor requires.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- English language skills, as native language proficiency or equivalent
- Spanish language skills, at basic level or higher (all levels of Spanish are encouraged)
- Interest in serving in an educational environment
- 35 years or younger
- Stipend of $800 USD/month
- Local health insurance provided by Volunteers Colombia
- Housing: First month of housing will be provided by local partner (Feb 15 – Mar 15). After March 15 volunteers are responsible for finding and paying for their own housing.
Before arrival the applicant must pay a 250 USD deposit, which Volunteers Colombia will refund to the applicant as part of the first stipend payment. Applicants must pay for their own flight tickets for travel to and from Colombia.
Application deadline is 30 October 2014. Applications must be submitted online HERE.
For further information consult the official website HERE.