Deadline: 24 November 2014
Open to: students and amateur photographers who want to build a career in travel photography
Prize: a 12-day trip to the Amazon with professional mentorship from Jason Edwards
World Nomads has opened application for its 2014 Travel Photography Scholarship competition, giving one aspiring photographer the opportunity to accompany renowned wildlife and natural history photographer, Jason Edwards, on assignment in the Peruvian Amazon.
The winner of the scholarship will start his photographic journey in the ancient capital of the Inca Empire – Cusco – where he will explore the rich history and culture of the Andean Mountain landscapes with “Explorandes”. From there he will travel into the heart of the Amazon basin to Madre de Dios, where he will explore one of the planet’s top biodiversity hotspots. The selected photographer will be in Peru from 6-19 April 2015 and he will observe and assist Jason Edwards, as well as undertake his own photographic work.
In order to be eligible you must:
- Be a photography student or keen amateur/pro-amateur looking build a career in travel photography;
- Be at least 18 years of age by the deadline, with a valid passport;
- Be available for the dates of the trip (6-19 April 2015);
- Be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved;
- Have a strong desire to be mentored and grow your photographic knowledge and skills, an ambition to forge a career in travel photography.
The prize for the winning photographer includes:
- A 12-day bespoke trip to the Amazon with WWF Peru, Rainforest Expeditions and Explorandes;
- Round-trip airfare to Cusco, Peru;
- A 12-day professional mentorship from Jason Edwards;
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip.
The four runner’s up will receive a free 45-min portfolio review from Jason Edwards (valued at $800 AUD).
In order to enter the competition you must follow the next steps:
- Shoot your photo story: a maximum of 5 images that must tell a story about a place you have visited. Each of the 5 shots must have accompanying caption text (1-2 sentences) to help contextualise the shot.
- Complete the application form after registering HERE;
- Upload your photos: after you have filled in your application details, you will be directed to a page when you can upload your images and captions.
The deadline to apply is 24 November 2014.
For further information please visit the official website.