Deadline: 31 March, 2015 (postmark)
Open to: students or recent graduates
Venue: 19.08. – 04.09.2015, Alpbach, Austria
Are you a student or recent graduate?
Do you want to participate in the European Forum Alpbach (19.08. – 04.09.2015) and discuss this year’s general topic of “InEquality” with other young people from over 60 countries?
The forum emphasizes the active participation of young students and recent graduates from all around the world. The Seminar Week, the scientific centre-piece of the European Forum Alpbach, will deal with the topic of “InEquality” in a great variety of academic fields. The Alpbach Symposia will approach the topic from a more practice-oriented perspective. A large number of plenary and breakout sessions will give you the opportunity to debate the most burning issues in the fields of healthcare, higher education, technology, the economy, European and international politics, law, the built environment. Summer Schools on European law, the health care system, participatory leadership and entrepreneurship complete the agenda.
In Alpbach, young people are offered the opportunity to enter into an informal discussion with high-ranking experts and renowned personalities. An extensive social programme gives participants the chance to continue debates outside the conference and seminar rooms.
The European Forum Alpbach is consisted of different events, among them: a seminar week and symposiums. Check the programme of the event.
Alpbach lives not only from its excellent speakers but also from contributions of participants. The organizers cordially invite you to share your opinion on our stage – become a protagonist yourself and trigger discussion in Alpbach. Learn HERE how to participate at the BarCamp, at the Alpbach Political Symposium or at the Speakers’ Night.
The event is open for students and recent graduates. Read carefully the information provided about the different scholarships schemes regarding the eligibility criteria.
There are three possibilities to apply for a scholarship to participate in the European Forum Alpbach:
1) at the Non-Profit Foundation of the European Forum Alpbach:
- Scholarship Value: A scholarship includes the participation fee for all events of the European Forum Alpbach 2014 August 19 to September 4, 2015) worth 600.00 EUR.
- Grant Subsidy: Should you not have sufficient funds to cover the costs of your stay in Alpbach, there is a possibility to apply for an additional amount for accommodation and board. Please fill out the Supplementary Form and include it in your application if you wish to be considered for this extra sum. If you have any proof of financial support for your studies, you do not need to explain your financial situation in writing. Please include, however, the corresponding proofs (e.g. the confirmation that you are receiving the Austrian “Studienbeihilfe” or any other study grants).Travel costs cannot be refunded.
- Return Scholarship: Students and young graduates who have been scholarship holders in the past may apply for a return scholarship. The scholarship comprises 90% of the participation fee; 10% of the fee as well as the costs for board and lodging have to be covered by the scholarship holder. If you apply for a return scholarship, you need to hand in the application form and a letter of motivation only.
- Find more information HERE
2) at a partner organisation
- In cooperation with the Austrian Integration Fund (OIF), the European Forum Alpbach awards scholarships aimed at promoting the integration of refugees and migrants. Check their web-site (in German) HERE.
- The Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology, awards scholarships to students from the Sciences. More information is available (in German) HERE.
When applying for different scholarship programmes (e.g. at the Non-Profit Foundation of the European Forum Alpbach), please indicate all of them on the supplementary form. Provided that the respective application criteria are satisfied, you can apply at a maximum of three different grant places.
1) For scholarships of the Non-Profit Foundation of the European Forum Alpbach:
- Application Form: The organizers’ main objective is to ensure the participation of many young people in the entire event of the European Forum Alpbach. The European Forum Alpbach’s unique feature is to combine academic seminars with applied symposia and short courses on specific topics. Please choose only those symposia, seminars and working groups which you really intend to attend and which will not take place at the same time. Your well-considered choice of events gives evidence of your knowledge of the programme.
- Motivation statement: The essential features to be included in the motivation statement (one-page text) are:a) A comment on your personal thoughts and ideas about the topics of the current programme. b) Your views on the values and ideas of the European Forum Alpbach c) OPTIONAL: An additional one-page essay on your views and ideas concerning the European integration process. After the financial and economic crisis, how can we overcome disorientation? How can we agree on our common goals and values? What is essential for the future of European integration? Please send an electronic version of the essay to [email protected].
- Curriculum vitae: Should give evidence of your academic education, practical experience and extra-curricular activities.
- Certificates and Transcripts: Please include the following documents to your application: copies of relevant school and university certificates, as well as a transcript covering all credits obtained during the last academic year. If your transcripts/certificates are in a language other than German or English, please submit a translation. This translation does not need to be certified.
- German or English Proficiency (non-native speakers only): There are two ways to prove your language proficiency in English or German (minimum: European level B2 or academic IELTS 6.5). Any conclusive proof will be admitted: (1) Language certificates: If your certificates are made out in a language other than German or English, you need to submit a translation. This translation need not be certified; (2) If you are studying in a German or English speaking country or programme, you do not have to submit a language certificate.
Please send all your documents by regular mail till March 31, 2015 (postmark) to:
European Forum Alpbach Non-Profit Foundation under Private Law
Applications via e-mail cannot be accepted. For further information on our scholarship programme please get in contact with: Katharina OKULSKI, [email protected], Tel. +43 (1) 718 17 11-19
2. For scholarships by the partner organisations:
- For the scholarships by the Austrian Integration Fund, contact them for further information;
- As for the scholarships provided by the Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology, apply online until 2 May 2014.