Deadline: 25, March 2015
Open to: candidates experienced in Public Relations, ICT, journalism, communication, graphic design, and/or marketing
Remuneration: Gross salary: 2.400,00 EUR/month for 37,5 hours per week.Food vouchers offered for the amount of 6,00 EUR per working day
European Students’ Union (ESU) is the umbrella organisation of 47 national unions of students from 39 countries, and through these members they represent over 11 million students. The aim of ESU is to represent and promote the educational, social, economic and cultural interests of students at a European level towards all relevant bodies and in particular the European Union, Bologna Follow-Up Group, Council of Europe and UNESCO.
ESU actively promotes students’ rights and equal opportunities for all individuals in higher education. The European Students’ Union (ESU) is looking for a team player to fill the position of a Communications’ Officer at its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. The Communications Officer will be responsible for coordinating and facilitating external and internal communication, updating ESU’s profile and image and contributing to the further development of ESU’s administrative tools and procedures.
Responsibilities and areas of work
Managing and facilitating external and internal communication, namely by:
- Getting the ESU messages across to European and international political institutions and media as well as national governments and relevant non-governmental organisations;
- Writing articles and compiling information for ESU’s website and monthly external newsletter, The Student Voice;
- Coordinating press releases;
- Preparing ESU’s publications, including project publications;
- Promoting and disseminating ESU events, projects, publications, campaigns and statements to other stakeholders and wider public;
- Liaising with relevant media and related institutions;
- Moderating internal and external email lists and intranet;
- Handling external enquiries and requests;
- Co-operating with other ESU staff or elected representatives on ESU events’ organising;
- Maintaining databases of external contacts.
Upgrading and updating ESU’s institutional image, namely by:
- Developing ESU’s visual identity;
- Further developing and updating ESU’s website;
- Social media channels’ management;
- Preparing promotional materials;
- Leading practical, technical, layouting and graphic design work with development of ESU publications.
Further developing the administration of the organisation, namely by:
- Cooperating with other ESU elected and secretariat members on ESU promotional and fundraising activities;
- Developing and managing the backoffice/intranet and e-mail service of the organization;
- Finding new ways to facilitate better internal and external communications;
- Sharing daily secretariat tasks with other secretariat members.
Are you eligible to apply?
The ideal candidate should have:
- A degree or comparable experience within the areas Public Relations, ICT, journalism, communication, graphic design, and/or marketing;
- Knowledge and/or experience in working promotional activities;
- Knowledge and/or experience in layouting and graphic design;
- A native/near-native command of English (spoken and written), the official language of ESU. Additional knowledge of one or more European languages is highly desirable, particularly French or Dutch;
- Excellent ICT skills (Web development, MS Office, Photoshop, cloud storage systems, etc.);
- Expertise and experience in working with all forms of social media (facebook, twitter, etc.);
- The following knowledge and/or skills are considered advantageous
- Knowledge of the European institutions and other target audiences related to higher education
- Any working experience with non-profit student/youth organisations, preferably student unions
Profile of the candidate:
ESU values initiative and strives for self-development. We are looking for someone to welcome to the team that shares these attributes, is interested in student and higher education issues and has a positive, but responsible attitude towards her/his work responsibilities and colleagues. The candidate should be a well-organised and hard-working team player, be able to work flexibly in a multicultural environment and stick to tight deadlines. As communications officer in ESU, occasional travel to attend events of the organisation is expected. As an organisation strongly promoting equality, we require all ESU elected representatives and staff to follow the ESU Ethical Guidelines, Code of Conduct and Gender Mainstreaming Strategy.
- Indeterminate employment contract (including an initial trial period);
- Based in Brussels, occasional travel;
- Gross salary: 2.400,00 EUR/month for 37,5 hours per week. Additionally, ESU offers food vouchers for the amount of 6,00 EUR per working day;
- Ideal starting date: 13 April 2015.
Please send a CV, a motivation letter, work portfolio, as well as any references and/or letters of recommendations by e-mail to email@example.com by 23:59 CET on 25th March 2015.
For more details of the terms of contract or any other questions, please contact Erin Nordal, ESU’s Vice-Chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 479 126 390.