Deadline: 3 June 2015
Open to: candidates from Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela
Fellowship: up to USD $15,000, providing economy-class round-trip travel and a modest subsistence allowance
The SCAR Fellowship Programme is designed to encourage the active involvement of early career scientists and engineers in Antarctic scientific research, and to build new connections and further strengthen international capacity and cooperation in Antarctic research.
COMNAP is the international independent organisation of National Antarctic Programmes. Formed in 1988, COMNAP has as its goal to develop and promote best practice in managing the support of scientific research in Antarctica. Candidates may choose for which fellowship they want to apply. Each country that is a signatory to the Antarctic Treaty 1959 normally establishes a National Antarctic Program, which has national responsibility for managing the support of scientific research in the Antarctic Treaty Area on behalf of its government and in the spirit of the Antarctic Treaty. COMNAP currently brings together the National Antarctic Programs of 29 countries from all around the world.
The SCAR and COMNAP Antarctic Research Fellowships are available to undertake short-term visits to major international laboratories, field facilities and/or institutes in or operated by other SCAR and COMNAP member countries. Four to five SCAR Fellowships and one or two COMNAP Fellowships will be made in total, depending on the quality of the applications and the budget available.
COMNAP Fellowship Scheme:
- Current Postgraduate/PhD researcher or within 5 years of finishing the highest degree obtained;
- Visiting a facility in or run by a COMNAP member country, which is different from applicant’s: (a) country of origin (which should be a COMNAP member country) and (b) current country of residence;
- Should contribute to one or more objectives of the home or host National Antarctic Program, fit within COMNAP’s goals and purpose (would welcome applicants from Engineering, Social Sciences, Humanities, Education, Communication and Outreach, and Medicine, for example).
SCAR Fellowship Scheme:
- Current PhD researcher or within 5 years of finishing PhD (in special cases over 5 years may be accepted, e.g. maternity/paternity leave);
- Visiting a facility in or run by a SCAR member country, which is different from (a) applicant’s country of origin and (b) current country of residence;
- Should contribute to the objectives of one or more of the Standing Scientific Groups and current Scientific Research Programmes endorsed by SCAR.
SCAR and COMNAP Fellowship awards will be up to USD $15,000, providing economy-class round-trip travel and a modest subsistence allowance for the fellowship period. The Fellow’s home institute will bear all expenses incurred in his or her home country (domestic travel, visa costs, etc.), and the host institute will waive any bench fees that they might normally charge trainees.
Following the application process, please:
- Fill in the online application form;
Attach the following documents in PDF to your online application:
- Research Proposal, together with any relevant appendices, as a single document;
- Home Institute Reference (Cover Note 1 and Letter of Reference) as a single document;
- Host Institute Agreement (Cover Note 2).
The deadline for applying is 3 June 2015.
For more information please visit the official webpage.