Deadline: 1 May 2015
Open to: individuals aged 18-30 the time, coming from Member States of the ITU
Prize: up to USD 10,000 for your idea, all costs covered for the ITU Telecom World event for all the finalists
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Telecom World Young Innovators Competition is looking for young social entrepreneurs using innovative ICT-based ideas to encourage entrepreneurship in local communities around the world. These efforts can encourage entrepreneurs in any field, through incubation, skill building, mentorship, sharing resources and collaboration between small businesses. Participants can have either an established start up or the concept for a new one. Two winners will be invited to join ITU Telecom World 2015 in Budapest, Hungary, October 12-15, 2015 to pitch their ideas, participate in workshops, benefit from a year of ongoing mentorship, and win seed funding.
The ITU Telecom Young Innovators Competition has always set challenges dealing with important development issues which could be addressed by technology. Entrepreneurship is a key economic driver, and encouraging it is a major priority for the United Nations development agenda as well as governments across the globe. Increasing entrepreneurship among groups which are underrepresented in the tech world is of particular interest.
- Applicants must be older than 18 and younger than 30 at the time of entry;
- Applicants must not be an employees (or members of an employee’s family or household) of ITU or holding an offer for future employment with ITU;
- Winning projects from ITU Telecom World 2013 are not eligible;
- Winning concepts could be submitted as a start-up with a business plan;
- All applications must be submitted in English;
- Applicants may submit more than one entry for a Challenge, provided that entries submitted by the same applicant are not substantially similar.
Start-ups can win up to USD 10,000. The level of funding will be determined by the Selection Committee based on the need expressed by the applicant, the quality of the submission (innovation, business potential, social impact potential, likelihood of success) and the result of the presentation and the interview.
All finalists will receive a fellowship to facilitate their participation in ITU Telecom World 2015. The fellowship will cover travel, accommodation, visa costs and includes a daily subsidiary allowance (DSA).
How to apply?
Submit description of your business and any key supporting documents online. As the competition progresses, you may be asked to upload your full business plan and application form.
Deadline for submitting your idea is 1 May 2015.
For more information please visit the official webpage.