Deadline: 31 May 2015
Open to: candidates over 18 years old
Grant: laureates will receive 100,000 Swiss francs, Young Laureates will receive 50,000 Swiss francs
The Rolex Awards for Enterprise were launched in 1976 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Oyster chronometer, the world’s first waterproof watch. Each Rolex Award for Enterprise is given for a new or ongoing project anywhere in the world – one that deserves support for its capacity to improve lives, or protect the world’s natural and cultural heritage. These projects have touched all aspects of humanity by expanding knowledge or improving life on the planet. This year Rolex will offer five Laureate Awards and five Young Laureate Awards, asking an independent Jury of experts to choose 10 exceptional individuals who demonstrate that they have pioneering projects that will benefit the world.
Rolex recognizes the refreshing approach that young people have to solving problems. The first set of Awards devoted to Young Laureates, aged between 18 and 30 years, took place in 2009 with the idea of supporting visionary young men and women at a critical juncture in their careers.
- Over 18 years old;
- Any nationality;
- Projects are assessed on their originality, potential for impact, feasibility and on the candidates own spirit of enterprise;
- Projects theme are applied technology, cultural heritage, environment, exploration and discovery, science and health.
Each Laureate receives 100,000 Swiss francs for his or her project. Young Laureates receive 50,000 Swiss francs. In addition, winners receive access to Rolex’s network of more than 100 past Laureates, as well as the benefit of international publicity through media coverage and the Rolex Awards website.
Candidates have to submit their project ideas in a short online pre-application:
- Once you create a user account, you will have three weeks to complete your pre-application form;
- You will be asked to complete a form answering questions about your project, it’s goals and activities;
- The pre-application must be completed in English;
- You are allowed to fill in only one pre-application for the 2016 Rolex Awards for Enterprise.
The deadline for submitting pre-applications is 31 May 2015.
For more information please visit the official webpage.