Deadline: 4 May 2015
Open to: citizens of the countries from former Yugoslavia affected by the wars or having a family that experienced war
Venue: 22-25 June, Istanbul, Turkey
Koç University, Istanbul is glad to invite participants at their 4th Peacemakers Conference and Workshop. The topic for this fourth edition will be “What Happened to Yugoslavia“.
The previous Peacemakers Events showcased pioneering work in a new age of conflict resolution and were developed out of the idea of dissecting the roots of prejudice and bringing together communities, that have historically experienced conflict from regional dynamics, including migration, through the lens of dignity and the role dignity plays in the breakdown and restoration of relationships. The 2015 Peacemakers Initiative will consist of two parts:
- 22 June 2015: Conference;
- 23-25 June 2015: Workshop.
The conference will be open to the public and you can be excited through inspiring speeches, panel discussions as well as entrepreneurial talks.
The focus of this year’s Peacemakers will be looking back to what happened in the Balkans in the 1990’s when the Yugoslavia, the country, nation, once beloved by its people, started to crumble. Koç University, Istanbul will invite youth that was personally affected by the conflict to share their experience and help with analyzing the conflict and overcoming it through the Workshop.
This year the Workshop will be led by Dr. Govinda Clayton, professional in the field of International Conflict Analysis, with an award for teaching innovation. He will mentor young leaders coming from former Yugoslav countries, who will engage in an interactive, intensive workshop aiming to overcome the dimensions of prejudice currently entrenched in regional dynamics. The goal is to raise the future leaders who are respectful towards diversity.
Speakers at the upcoming conference include:
- Prof. Dr. Umran S. Inan, President, Koc University, Turkey
- Mr. Ahmet Kamil Erozan, Ambassador, First Deputy Secretary General Org. of the Black Sea Economic Coop., Turkey
- Mr. Bilge Cankorel, Former Turkish Ambassador, Turkey
- Prof. Dr. Sabrina Petra Ramet, Norwegian University of Science & Technology, Norway
- Prof. Dr. Dejan Jovic, Zagreb University, Croatia
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Birgül Demirtaş, TOBB University, Turkey
- Assoc. Prof. Dr. Marko Attila Hoare, Kingston University, United Kingdom
- Dr. Govinda Clayton, Kent University, United Kingdom
- Dr. Eref Kenan Raidagic, Sarajevo University, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Dr. Altuğ Günal, Ege University, Turkey
- GLODEM Koc University – Center for Research on Globalization, Peace and Democratic Governance, Turkey
The workshop, led by Dr. Govinda Clayton, is limited to candidates fulfilling specific criteria:
- Citizens of countries that from former Yugoslavia (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Kosovo);
- Candidates that have first-hand been affected by the conflict or have close family that has experienced the war;
- Applicants that show interest in the specific topic;
- Applicants with a good command of English;
- Potential participants aged between 20 and 30 years.
Twenty participants will be selected. Lodging, meals and flights will be provided for selected workshop participants. Workshop participants will be housed at Koç University’s Main Campus dormitories.
If you want to participate at the workshop, click HERE. Note that the deadline is 4 May 2015.
If you would like to register only for the conference, use the following link. The registration is open until 12 June 2015.
Check the web-page.