Deadline: 15 May 2015
Open to: everyone who is interested in issues of video games and their impact on everyday life
Benefits: the opportunity of publishing the best articles
Video games are increasingly used and discussed as a medium for creating and sharing meaning – be it as a form of learning, self-knowledge, persuasion in fields such as politics or advertising, or a way of mending a “broken reality” with a layer of meaning. Gameplay has also been used for distributed problem solving in science, public awareness of distressing psychological conditions such as depression, or for historical commemoration. Manuscripts as research articles and notes that explore the varied landscape of insightful gameplay are welcomed together with texts from multiple disciplines, genres, and personal histories of gameplay.
Manuscript details: For this special issue there are no requirements concerning manuscript length or structure. Full articles, short papers, works in progress, essays, journals, and also fiction works and manuscripts in other genres that address the topic of insightful gameplay are invited.
Some useful and inspiring questions are:
- How can games stimulate players’ insights into the world around us, or how can they fail to do so?
- How do players derive and formulate insights when playing? How do people make meaning from gameplay?
- How can games occasion moral reflection and moral experiences or avoid it?
- How can games encourage empathy – or discourage it?
- What is the role of various elements of a game (fictive worlds, mechanics, textual elements) and of the game paratext (player forums, reviews, markets etc.) in shaping gameplay as meaningful experiences?
- What is the diversity of meaning acquired by various people playing a game, or same persons in various instances of play? How do players relate to this multi-voicedness of gameplay?
Call for Papers is opened to anyone with creative mind and inspiring ideas, who is willing to think about impacts of video games on everyday life.
Personal development of writing abilities and the opportunity of publishing the best articles.
How to join?
Please send your manuscripts at: [email protected] latest by May 15, 2015.
For more information please check the official web-site.