Deadline: 15 August 2015
Open to: designers over 18 years old from Asian or European countries
Prizes: design your own capsule collection, six months mentorship, presentation and other prizes
The EcoChic Design Award is a sustainable fashion design competition inspiring emerging fashion designers and students to create mainstream clothing with minimal textile waste. Each competition cycle takes designers on an education and design journey lasting several theory and design-packed months. Firstly, designers will be educated about the fashion industry’s negative environmental impacts and the sustainable fashion design techniques, zero-waste, up-cycling and reconstruction that can combat this. Secondly, it will be provide tools, lectures, videos, articles and recommended links, in order to develop their understanding of sustainable fashion design.
The EcoChic Design Award also challenge them to source textile waste, in its many forms, to enable them to transition towards sustainable design and sourcing. Only then is possible to put designers to the ultimate test – to cut waste out of fashion – in standout sustainable design competition. This puts sustainable design talent in the spotlight and rewards the best with career-changing prizes to change the pattern of fashion.
- Designer must be 18 or over (as of application closing date of 15 August 2015);
- Live with a valid ID/passport/visa/resident permit in any Asian or European country at the time of the application;
- A fashion designer with less than three years’ professional fashion design experience or a fashion design student studying in any year at an educational institute in any Asian or European country at the time of the application ;
- An individual (group applications are not permitted).
- 1st prize: You will design your own capsule collection using up-cycled textiles for Shanghai Tang, China’s leading luxury brand that prides itself as the curator of modern Chinese chic. Following your competition victory, you will return to Hong Kong for up to three months during which your design vision and cultural experiences will be expanded, along with your fame.
2nd prize: This winner will receive a six month tailored mentorship with distinguished sustainable fashion designer, Orsola de Castro. This mentorship opportunity will give you expert and targeted support that will propel your career in sustainable fashion design forwards and prepare you, your visions and your collections for the competitive market of attracting fashion buyers and media – and ultimately securing success.
- Special prize: Winner of the special prize will need to convince leading Asian female celebrity that his or her designs have a certain superstar appeal that boasts as much style as sustainability. If celebrity votes you as her winner, you will be rewarded with the chance of creating a signature sustainable piece for her to wear in a high profile fashion shoot or at her public appearance.
There are also prizes for all finalist and semifinalist. For more info click here.
How to apply?
For proceeding with the application, please upload download the application form and send it on the e-mail indicated for your home country (see guide at page 4)
For more information please check the official web-page.