Deadline: 15 June 2015
Open to: degree holders in a relevant field such as Web Development or Programming
Salary: EUR 21,500 – 24,000 gross/year
ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability is the world’s leading network of over 1,000 cities, towns and metropolises committed to building a sustainable future. By helping to their Members to make their cities and regions sustainable, low-carbon, resilient, eco-mobile, bio-diverse, resource-efficient and productive, healthy and happy, with a green economy and smart infrastructure, they impact over 20% of the world’s urban population. Web Programmer (Junior Officer) position is available for one year starting from July 2015 at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. The position is within ICLEI’s Communication team, the Junior Officer will report to the Head of Communications and the Head of ICLEI Capacity Center. There is a possibility of contract extension after this period.
Responsibilities and tasks:
- Supporting the development and programming of ICLEI’s global and project websites and mobile applications;
- Working closely with ICLEI’s global and project teams to provide advice and guidance, to gather and refine technical specifications based on user needs, to develop detailed specification documents with clear project deliverables and timelines and to ensure the timely completion of deliverables;
- Programming, coding and installing websites and mobile applications;
- Determining and designing appropriate architecture and data-driven application, as well as identifying and other technical solutions and making relevant recommendations to ICLEI’s global and project teams;
- Converting raw images and layouts from ICLEI’s visual designer into CSS/XHTML themes;
- Using web development software to integrate databases and other information systems;
- Designing and implementing user-driven templates, databases and interfaces;
- Testing websites and applications on various web browsers, identifying technical problems and trouble shooting;
- Creating and maintaining software documentation;
- Coordinating communication projects and ensuring accurate deliverables from external agencies, freelance developers, etc.;
- Regularly updating and maintaining existing websites and web applications;
- Registering web domain names, organizing the hosting of ICLEI websites.
- Degree in a relevant field such as Web Development or Programming;
- Knowledge of CSS, HTML/XHTML programming and other web programming languages (PHP, ASP or JSP);
- Experience with different content management systems (TYPO, WordPress, Drupal);
- Experience working with relational database systems such as MySQL, MSSQL or Oracle and a good working knowledge of SQL;
- Experience with developing and implementing open source software projects;
- Client-oriented, creative, motivated and pro-active attitude;
- Organized working style, ability to follow through and deliver results;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Good communications skills;
- Strong interest in the areas of cities and local government, urban planning & management, environmental sustainability, and mitigation and adaptation to climate change is an asset;
- Excellent command of English (written and spoken); proficiency in another language (esp. German) is considered as an additional asset.
The salary depends on qualifications and experience and will range between EUR 21,500 – 24,000 gross/year. The web developer will work 40 h per week and will have right to 30 days of paid vacation per year. Non-EU citizens are also welcome to apply but due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
How to apply?
The following documents should be send via email to [email protected] latest by 15 June 2015. Please include “Web programmer (Junior Officer)” in the subject line:
- A letter of motivation;
- Your recent CV (maximum 3 pages);
- Examples of work or links to previous web project;
- Indication of possible start date;
- Indication of citizenship (and if non-EU, whether you are holder of a work permit for Germany).
Be aware that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable. The ICLEI World Secretariat will only contact the shortlisted applicants.