Deadline: 31 July 2015
Open to: all writers worldwide that are not full time journalists or associated with any specific publication
Prizes: first place winner will receive USD 10,000, and second place USD 5,000 and third places USD 1,000
The Reason Foundation is presenting the Annual Bastiat Prize for Journalism (BPJ). The prize is named after Frédéric Bastiat, the classical liberal essayist whose writings on free markets, political economy and individual rights remain a touchstone in libertarian thought. Often described as sensible, eloquent, and witty, the collected works of the great Frédéric Bastiat demonstrate that simple, illustrative examples can make complicated concepts accessible to anyone. His understanding of economics and its fundamental relationship to the rule of law is de rigueur for anyone interested in property rights and free markets.
In the enduring spirit of Frédéric Bastiat’s brilliant work, the Bastiat Prize for Journalism is given to writers who educate readers by employing Bastiat’s simple, eloquent and witty explanations of complex economic ideas, combined with a clear understanding of markets and their underlying institutions.
- All writers, anywhere in the world; that are not full time journalists or associated with any specific publication;
- All articles entered for the BPJ must have been published in print or online (or both);
- Articles may comprise or include the transcript of a radio or television broadcast if that transcript has been published in print or online;
- Entries must comprise between one and three articles;
- Entries must not exceed 5,000 words in total;
- Articles must have been published in English;
- Articles must have been published for the first time June 30, 2014 and July 31, 2015;
- Entries must state clearly the name of the publication where each article appeared and the date of each article was published;
- Consideration will be given to the articles on the following criteria: intellectual coherence; persuasiveness; wit and creativity; relevance; clarity and simplicity; wider impact.
The first place winner will receive USD 10,000, second place USD 5,000 and third place USD 1,000.
How to apply?
- Fill in the online application form;
- A full entry must either upload a file containing the text of your articles, or copy/paste the article text into the field supplied below. Failure to do so will result in your entry being disqualified;
- After you receive an automated email copy of your submission, please forward it to [email protected], along with the relevant file attachments;
- In all cases, an electronic copy of each article (in either txt, rtf, or pdf format) must be uploaded through the submission form. If you encounter problems with the form, then these should be emailed to [email protected];
- Authors must nominate themselves, although submissions may be made by an assistant on the author’s behalf with his/her consent;
- If some or all articles are available to view online, entrants are encouraged to provide a URL for the articles.
Deadline for applying is 31 July 2015.
For more information please visit the official website.