Deadline: 12 July 2015
Open to: young people between 15-29 years old from one of the listed cities
Fellowship: connected with further job opportunities, member of “YouthfulCities Couchsurfing Network”, upgrade your resume, be involved in a global project
Youthful Cities is a global initiative to rank the world’s top 100 cities from a youth perspective. They Illuminate and decode the global power of urban youthfulness. They build youth networks. They dive into youth-driven urban data. They expose insights that captivate leaders across all generations and sectors. They generate inventive solutions from youth outward. They tell youthful stories in compelling ways. They are building a real human and digital stronghold in 100 cities that will house 1 billion people in the next 20 years.
Research fellows will take charge of the Urban Attitudes Survey in their city, creating a distribution strategy, designing qualitative research to compliment the survey findings, and building local partnerships. The fellows will play a vital role in ensuring the survey is representative of their city. The fellowship period will last until 30 December 2015.
Fellows will have to:
- Find a mentor. This can be a professor, or someone involved in research for another organization like an NGO, private company or even the city itself- someone with a wealth of research experience to share with you;
- Build your research design:
- Fellows will receive the survey and platform from Youthful Cities, so you will have access to all of the documents and structures you need as soon as you get started;
- Have the ability to add 1-2 city-specific questions to the survey (tentative);
- Fellows will then build a qualitative research strategy that adds context to the survey responses. This can take the form of interviews, drawing out case studies of your city’s successes, or hosting a discussion session. Get creative and find new ways to tell the stories you find in the survey.
- Build a social media presence in your city. You can re-post from the main YouthfulCities page and create your own content;
- Distribute the survey:
- Contact organizations who can act as distribution partners;
- Prioritize completion of quantitative research and reach target of 500-1000 survey responses;
- Complete your qualitative research project.
Report your findings:
Create your own city report which complements the survey results with local knowledge and qualitative findings, bringing the research to life.
- Aged between 15-29;
- Available to complete the Urban Attitudes Survey between 15 July and 30 September 2015;
- Be in one of the above listed cities during this period;
- Have research experience at a university level;
- Strong written and verbal English and the ability to do some translation between English and your home language;
- Good social network in your city;
- Outgoing person as you will need to meet people and build connections;
- Organized with a strong commitment to completing projects.
- Part of the YouthfulCities network. You can connect with thousands of young people around the world that have similar interests;
- Connected with further job opportunities. For their consulting projects much of the recruitment is made from their current network. Over the past year they have hired 100 youth to work on projects;
- You will be first to know about the YouthfulCities Global Summit, and be a member of the unofficial “YouthfulCities Couchsurfing Network” with friends in 75 cities;
- You will be able to act as the local spokesperson for YouthfulCities, and will be featured on the website as well as have the opportunity to speak to media, or write about your experiences;
- Create a strong network in your city. You will be forging relationships with local organizations and leaders that can last a lifetime;
- Build up your resume with paid work experience and references;
- You will be involved in a global project that gives you a unique understanding of youth and cities, and have the opportunity to give a voice to youth where you live.
Fill in the online application form latest by 12 July 2015.
For more information please visit the official website.