Deadline: 17 August 2015
Open to: a person who has a compelling story of migration and has contributed significantly to his/her original home country, transit or host country
Prizes: USD 2,000
The #Migrant Heroes is a international organization for migration.
The #MigrantHeroes Smartphone Film Competition is a new IOM initiative to collect films shot on smartphones that tell migrant stories from around the world. Selected films will compete for the 5th Olleh International Smartphone Film Festival (OISFF)’s special “Migrant Heroes Prize.” IOM is officially sponsoring the OISFF in 2015.
The competition will go public through social media platforms under the tag #MigrantHeroes and #OISFF. It will nominate submitted films as candidates for the festival’s special Migrant Heroes Prize of USD2000, and for the festival’s official USD10,000 grand prize. The winning films will be screened at a movie theatre in Seoul throughout September and October this year.
A 2-minute film compilation of a selection of the films submitted will be screened at IOM’s 65th Anniversary in Geneva, and possibly at the opening ceremony of the OISFF. Participation within IOM offices worldwide is strongly encouraged to capture the different perspectives towards migrants in their respective regions.
A Migrant Hero should belong to at least one of the following categories:
- A person who has a compelling story of migration and has contributed significantly to his/her original home country, transit or host country;
- A migrant who accomplished a special achievement(s) in a particular field (medicine, education, art, etc.) outside his/her home country;
- A migrant noted for feats of courage and strength or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life;
- A migrant from any walk of life with a powerful story that helps challenge prevailing negative perceptions about migration and create a perception transformation amongst the general public and stimulate the discussion about migration.
Selected films will compete for the fifth Olleh International Smartphone Film Festival (OISFF)’s special “Migrant Heroes Prize.” The winner will receive USD 2,000.
How to apply?
Deadline for application is 17 August 2015.
Smartphone films, shot by IOM staff worldwide or the general public, can range in length:
- Extreme-shorts (from 1 second to 1 minute);
- Shorts (from 1 to 10minutes) or feature films of over 50 minutes;
- Should be submitted in H.264/ .MOV, .MP4, or .WMV digital files smaller than 500MB.
You can submit the story of a Migrant Hero via the application form .
You can also contact the IOM office in your country of residence for additional information on the campaign.
For more information please visit the official website.