Deadline: 25 September 2015
Open to: experienced holders of Master degree interested in Roma empowerment
Salary: commensurate with experience
The Roma Education Fund (REF) is seeking a new Executive Director to lead the organization in the fulfilment of its strategy and objectives. REF’s mission is to close the gap in educational outcomes between Roma and non-Roma, including through the desegregation of education systems. REF strives to achieve this by scaling up interventions that have been successfully piloted, supporting activities that are respectful and inclusive of Roma at all levels of education, providing a forum for advocacy and discussion of Roma education issues, and serving as a centralized source of information on Roma education issues.
The Executive Director will have following duties:
- Manage REF’s operations in order to implement its strategic objectives and continue increasing flexibility, efficiency and effectiveness of programs;
- Recruit, manage and develop REF staff to ensure the right balance of skills and knowledge and to motivate and support staff for performance and growth;
- Plan for and oversee growth of REF, including the development of new legal entities in target countries subject to approval by the Board.
- Lead fundraising to maintain operations and for future growth;
- Act as primary contact to donors, ensuring timely reporting and maximum transparency;
- Plan and manage REF’s budget and ensure the highest level of fiscal accountability and integrity;
- Develop strong collaborative links with all stakeholders, especially Roma communities and organizations, pro-Roma civil society, municipal and national governments, international organizations and donors;
- Represent REF externally to support education policy change and new and existing programs, especially with international organizations and governments (including ministries of education and local governments);
- Provide timely and clear information and advice to the REF Boards;
- Serve as Secretary to the REF Boards;
- Ensure all REF decisions and actions are taken in line with existing policies and that accurate and complete records are kept;
- Sustain the independence, objectivity and integrity of REF and its programs.
The successful candidate should have:
- A successful track record of at least five years managing staff, resources and fiduciary responsibilities in a multicultural environment;
- Experience leading an organization, department or project through a period of growth;
- Experience raising funds from a variety of sources (governmental, international organization, private);
- Demonstrated success in managing complex, international programs and projects;
- Ability to work effectively and sensitively with a very wide range of stakeholders, including minority groups, civil society, international organizations and governments;
- Familiarity with policies of international organizations in Europe, especially the European Commission, Council of Europe and OSCE;
- Experience with minority inclusion issues, programs and projects;
- Knowledge of education policy and practice. Experience of these issues as they relate to Roma is an advantage;
- Excellent spoken and written English. Knowledge of other relevant European languages spoken in Central and Eastern Europe, including Romanes, will be an advantage;
- The highest personal integrity;
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant field of study, such as education, social science, political science, management or economics.
Commensurate with experience. The Executive Director will be employed on a contract under Hungarian Labor Law.
How to apply?
Applicants should send a letter of interest, a statement of up to 500 words explaining their interest, experience and how they would contribute to the implementation of REF’s Strategy, a full CV and the names of three references who may be contacted at an appropriate point in the recruitment process. These materials should be sent to Andrzej Mirga, REF Board Chair at: email@example.com.
For more information, check the official web-page.