Deadline: 28 August 2015
Open to: applicants with MA in international relations, law, sociology or a related field
Remuneration: paid traineeship
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is offering a traineeship at its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The trainee will assist the Sexual Violence Advisor in ensuring that ICRC operational activities (at headquarters and in the field) adequately support the ICRC’s operational response to sexual violence in armed conflict and other situations of violence. The trainee will have following tasks and responsibilities:
- Ensure the implementation and monitoring of the Special Appeal to strengthen the ICRC’s response to sexual violence at all levels of the organization including units and regions at headquarters as well as delegations in the field;
- Research, draft and edit briefing notes, speeches and statements, articles and institutional papers on issues related to sexual violence in armed conflicts for internal and external use;
- Review and monitor guidance documents, reports and other materials produced by other ICRC units or external stakeholders to ensure consistent messaging on sexual violence;
- Assist in the organisation of events and training courses related to sexual violence;
- Represent the Sexual Violence Team at relevant internal and external meetings, draft agendas and minutes of meeting, and follow-up as necessary;
- Provide administrative and coordination support to the Sexual Violence Advisor.
All applicants should meet following requirements:
- A master’s degree in international relations or law, sociology, history, anthropology, gender studies or a related field;
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of issues relating to sexual violence;
- Work experience in a relevant field;
- Knowledge of areas related to protection and humanitarian assistance and of the mandate and operation of the ICRC;
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis of complex ideas;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and strong capacity to work as part of a team;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Strong organisational and coordination skills;
- Demonstrated sense of initiative and capacity to work independently under minimal supervision;
- Native-level English speaker, with a good level of French, and other languages an asset.
The duration of the contract is one year starting in early to mid-November. The position is a paid traineeship and the amount of remuneration will be specified during the application process.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 28 August 2015, 5pm Geneva time. If you are interested in this position, please send following files together in one PDF file to [email protected], with the subject line: LAST NAME, First Name + Sexual Violence Trainee.
- One page cover letter including relevant experience and motivation for applying;
- CV, including the contact details of two referees, no longer than three pages;
- A writing sample, no longer than four pages.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted by 30 September, your application has unfortunately been unsuccessful.
For more information please visit the official website.