Deadline: 1 October 2015
Open to: applicants with PhD from Afghanistan, Belarus, China (permanent residence in Tibet or Xinjiang Autonomous Regions), Kasakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan
Fellowship: monthly stipend of EUR 750, accommodation in Sofia and rembursment of travel costs from the home country to Sofia and back, visa and insurance
The Centre for Advanced Study Sofia (CAS Sofia) announces a Call for Applications for its newly opened Gerda Henkel Fellowship for fundamental research in the fields of the humanities and the social sciences. The five-month in-residence fellowships are granted under the framework of the CAS Advanced Academia programme. CAS Sofia is an independent Institute with international and multidisciplinary profile. Located in Sofia, Bulgaria, it promotes high-level scholarship in the social sciences and the humanities.
In addition to supporting focus-group research, CAS Sofia invites outstanding scholars to pursue their individual research projects during in-residence periods of up to five months. The invited Fellows participate in the intellectual life and the scholarly community of the Centre (Bulgarian and foreign fellows) while working on projects of their own choice. Fellows receive adequate material and intellectual support and can profit from the Centre’s wide international networks, international seminar- and guest-lecturer programme. CAS Sofia assists Fellows in all practical matters concerning travel, residence and research in Sofia.
- Be citizens of one of the following countries: Afghanistan, Belarus, China (permanent residence in Tibet or Xinjiang Autonomous Regions), Kasakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Mongolia, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan;
- Have completed a PhD in the fields of the humanities and social sciences;
- International research experience (participation in projects and refereed conferences) and publications in peer-reviewed academic editions are strong advantages;
- Preference will be given to candidates below the age of 45.
As an international academic institution CAS conducts most of its work in English which is also the language of the presentations of research results. Therefore, a good command of English is highly desirable.
Fellows are entitled to:
- A monthly stipend of EUR 750 (liable to 10% income tax) to cover living expenses related to the stay in Sofia;
- Accommodation in Sofia, comprising living quarters and working space. The Fellows will also have free access to the CAS library and electronic resources/databases;
- Travel from the home country to Sofia and back, visa and insurance costs (up to EUR 850);
- Research field trip abroad during the fellowship period – up to EUR 1500 (a one-time allowance);
- Research expenses (EUR 100 per month).
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 1 October 2015. Candidates may apply for two periods: 1 March 2016 – 31 July 2016 (Summer semester) or 1 October 2016 – 28 February 2017 (Winter semester). To apply please carefully consider these documents:
Two letters of recommendation by scholars familiar with the applicant’s academic work should be emailed to CAS by the referees. All application documents should be presented in English and sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject entry “Advanced Academia Fellowships”.
For more information please visit the official website.