Deadline: 19 October 2015
Open to: EU citizens with a university degree in political science, international relations, or related field
Remuneration: paid traineeship
The European Institute of Peace (EIP) is a new initiative at the heart of Europe with a global scope. The EIP contributes to and complements the global peace agenda of Europe and the European Union, mainly through mediation and informal dialogue. The Institute pursues multi-track diplomacy and acts as a flexible, external tool in support of EU mediation efforts where the EU has limited freedom to act. It also serves as an operational hub, and connects existing expertise and shares knowledge and lessons on European mediation. EIP is looking for two motivated trainees to complete the programme team starting as soon as possible.
Key areas of responsibility are:
- Information gathering and in-depth analysis on EU’s and Member states’ positions on various foreign affairs issues including peace agenda, mediation, humanitarian assistance (globally and specific country assistance) and other relevant high level meetings;
- Assisting in compiling briefing materials for team and senior leadership;
- Other duties as assigned.
All applicants are expected to meet following requirements:
- University degree in political science, international relations, or related field;
- A relevant post-graduate diploma/degree;
- Excellent writing and analytical skills; a good understanding on the processes of the EU institutions; knowledge of who is who in the EEAS; expertise in EU MS foreign policy;
- Perfect command of English and French is desirable, other languages are a plus;
- Familiarity with the relevant international efforts on mediation, mediation-support, dialogue facilitation and one of the following thematic expertise:
- To support our work on Syria and Extremism: Arabic speaking, in-depth knowledge of Islamic culture and religion, knowledge of Libya/West-Africa, Horn of Africa and/or Middle East.
- To support our work on Russia-EU relations: Russian speaking with extensive knowledge of Russia.
- Ability to work well under deadlines;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a small team;
- EU citizen.
This is a full-time (40h/work week) and paid traineship. Details about remuneration will be specified during the application process. The duration of the contract is 6 months with a possibility of extension. EIP also offers benefits include luncheon vouchers and contribution to public transportation ticket.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 19 October 2015. To apply please submit 1-2 page CV with a very short motivation (half a page) to Finance and HR Manager, Judy Gould at [email protected]
For more information please visit the official website.