Deadline: 15 January 2016
Open to: doctoral students and postdoctoral and senior scholars outside the United States
Grant: up to USD 9,000
Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants provide support for research on topics concerning American art and visual culture prior to 1980. These grants enable scholars outside the United States to consult resources that are only available within the United States. Grant funding is available for short-term travel that gives scholars:
- An opportunity to discover new source material;
- Experience works of art first-hand in museums and private collections;
- Make contact with scholars, artists, curators, and art dealers;
- Consult local archives and library collections;
- Establish professional networks for future research.
The foundation only accepts proposals from doctoral students and postdoctoral and senior scholars outside the United States.
- Travel should be undertaken within one calendar year after the announcement of the selection results;
- Final report must be submitted within three months of completion of travel. It should include a description of the travel undertaken as a result of the grant, an assessment of the research accomplished, and a financial report detailing grant expenditures;
- Recipients must acknowledge the support of TFAA in any publication that results from research conducted during the grant.
Nine to thirteen grants are awarded annually as follows:
- Up to USD 6,000 per grant for doctoral students from Europe, North America, Australia, and New Zealand;
- Up to USD 7,000 per grant for doctoral students from Asia, Africa, and South America;
- Up to USD 9,000 per grant for all postdoctoral and senior scholars;
- Up to 5 grants are specifically dedicated to scholars from Asia, Africa, and South America.
Funds can be used for related transportation, lodging, meals, and research fees and expenses. They cannot be used for the purchase of computers or other equipment.
In order to apply you should download and fill in the application form. Follow the instructions and send your application latest by 15 January 2016.
For more information please visit the official website.