Deadline: 31 December 2015
Open to: US and foreign nationals, Bachelors in fields of forestry, natural resources, or other related degree
Fellowship: USD 1,000
The World Forest Institute (WFI) was established to meet a growing demand for forestry information. This Fellowship Program provides a unique collaboration between the research community, private industry, and the public sector. This WFI program brings young forestry and forest products professionals from around the world to work at the World Forest Institute for 6 to 12 months. Fellows are commonly sponsored by their employer, government institutions, the forest industry, or an NGO, and work on research projects of interest to their sponsors.
Fellowship candidates should meet these minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the field of forestry, natural resources, or other related degree. Alternatively, candidates with at least four years of natural resources work experience may apply;
- Proficiency in English, both written and spoken;
- At least 21 years of age;
- Initial research proposal on a topic relevant to forestry or natural resources in the home country. The project should take advantage of being in the Pacific Northwest;
- Ability to be self-motivated, to work independently towards a clear research goal or output, and to work with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
What does fellowship cover?
Fellows receive a monthly stipend of USD 1,000 after tax with holdings. The Fellowship salary is sufficient to cover basic living expenses such as rent and food.
- An all-zone public transportation permit;
- Work area with computer, private phone line, and high speed internet access;
- Flexible schedule with vacation and sick days;
- Support from two full-time staff, the WFI Director and Fellowship Program Manager;
- Personal orientation to Portland, including assistance with housing arrangements.
How to apply?
Complete the WFI application in full. Email your complete application along with your CV or resume to WFI Sr. Programs Manager, Chandalin Bennett, [email protected]. The application deadline for the 2016 Fellowship Program is December 31, 2015.
Find further information about the fellowship on the official website.