Deadline: 24 November 2015
Open to: master’s degree (or qualification of an equivalent level) in modern languages or translation, student currently embarking upon their final year on such a course, graduate who is pursuing (or has recently completed) postgraduate studies in translation
Remuneration: EUR 1,050 per month
The Directorate General Communications of the European Central Bank (ECB) is seeking applications from recent graduates, or students who are close to completing their studies, to participate in a traineeship in the Language Services Division for a period of three months.
The Language Services Division is responsible for providing the ECB with linguistic expertise and support in the official languages of the European Union (EU). The aim of the traineeship is to give the successful applicant the opportunity to gain experience in translation-related tasks. While at the ECB, the trainee will be expected to contribute to the translation of texts from English into Polish, the revision of texts in Polish and the proof-reading of texts in Polish destined for publication. The successful applicant will also be expected to identify, extract and compile terminology in particular, in the financial and economic fields and to align relevant previously translated texts, thereby expanding the Division’s existing Polish translation memories. The trainee’s work will be supervised by the staff translators of the Division’s Polish unit.
The successful candidate must have the following knowledge and competencies:
- Master’s degree (or qualification of an equivalent level) in modern languages or translation, or be a student currently embarking upon their final year on such a course, or be a graduate who is pursuing (or has recently completed) postgraduate studies in translation;
- Current attendance at a Polish university, or a bachelor’s degree obtained from a Polish university, would be a distinct asset;
- Native-level command of Polish;
- Nationals of the Member States of the European Union;
- Interest in financial and economic affairs would be an asset;
- Familiarity with computer-assisted translation software would be an asset;
- Advanced-level command of English;
- Practical knowledge of rules relating to the grammar and style of the Polish language;
- Intermediate-level command of at least one other official language of the EU;
- Working knowledge of MS Office (in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
The trainee grant is the exact amount of EUR 1,050 per month. The trainee grant is increased to EUR 1,900 per month for trainees who have completed at least two years of PhD study and who apply for a traineeship vacancy that requires such a level of qualification.
How to Apply?
Applications are to be made in English and submitted using the online application form. Deadline for applying is 24 November 2015.
For more information please visit the official website.