Deadline: 15 February 2016
Open to: citizens of all nationalities with an excellent MA degree
Scholarship: stipends of EUR 1,300 per month
The Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS) offers PhD program for the fall 2016 semester. Successful applicants for the PhD fellowships will pursue a topic in one of BIGSSS’ three Thematic Fields:
- Global Governance and Regional Integration;
- Welfare State, Inequality and Quality of Life;
- Changing Lives in Changing Socio-Cultural Contexts.
All applicants are asked to apply with their own research project broadly related to one of the three thematic fields. They must indicate one or two supervisors for their proposal. If applicants do not name one or two potential supervisors, the application will not be considered. By having a close fit to the research interests of BIGSSS faculty, the best possible supervision can be assured. All fellows are expected to choose Bremen as their place of residence.
Citizens of all nationalities can apply for BIGSSS Fellowship. All applicants should also meet following requirements:
- An excellent MA degree (or national equivalents like the German “Diplom” or “Magister”) in a discipline pertinent to at least one of BIGSSS’ three Thematic fields (see above), i.e. in Political Science, Sociology, Psychology, or related social science disciplines e.g. Law, Economics or Mass Communication. The degree must be completed by the end of July of the year of application, which means you may apply before having finished your MA degree;
- English proficiency.
Stipends of EUR 1,300 per month for 36 months are paid to all accepted fellows, contingent on successful completion of each year. To support its Ph.D. fellows in achieving early scientific independence, it also provides funds for conducting, presenting and publishing research. There is no separate funding application, because all admitted applicants receive a stipend.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 15 February 2016. To apply please submit your application for a BIGSSS Fellowship electronically via the online admissions system. The application should include following documents:
- Personal information form;
- Preliminary dissertation proposal;
- One-page proposal abstract;
- Statement of purpose;
- MA/BA/Diplom/Magister certificates;
- Two recent letters of recommendation;
- University grade transcripts;
- Statement of skills and experience with methods of empirical social research;
- Certification of English proficiency.
Please note that the online admissions system will only accept documents in pdf-format.
For more information please visit the official website.