Deadline: 31 January 2016
Open to: applicants with an excellent Master degree in history, social anthropology, sociology or a cognate discipline proficient in Polish or Croatian
Scholarship: pay level TVL‐E 13, 65%
The Institute for East and Southeast European Studies (IOS) in Regensburg (Germany) invites applications for the open position in the research project Transformations from Below: Shipyards and Labor Relations in the Uljanik (Croatia) and Gdynia (Poland) Shipyards since the 1980s. The project’s major objective is to historicize transformation from socialism to market economies and to explain it from a perspective “from below.” For that purpose, the project will explore changes in labour relations and shop ‐ floor practices in two shipyards, in Gdynia (Poland) and Pula (Yugoslavia/Croatia), in comparison.
For the completion of the project team, IOS Regensbur wants to recruit a PhD student/junior researcher. The doctoral project will concentrate on the economic development of one or ideally both of the shipyards since around 1980 and on the role of trade unions therein. The project shall also produce a database including the main economic and social indicators of the development of the two enterprises. The tasks of the doctoral researcher/junior researcher are the following:
- Conducting a research project on one or both shipyards, typically leading to a doctorate;
- Contributing to the activities of the research group;
- Presentation and publication of research results;
- Organization of scientific events;
- Participation in knowledge transfer measures.
All candidates should meet following requirements:
- An excellent Master degree in history, social anthropology, sociology or a cognate discipline;
- Proficiency either in Polish or Croatian; knowledge of the other language is an asset;
- Excellent command of English; knowledge of German is an asset.
The position is a 65% part time position, remunerated according to the Public Service Salary Scale of the States (TV ‐ L), pay level E13. The final salary level depends on previous work experience.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 31 January 2016. To apply please fill in the online application form HERE. Following documents must be included:
- Cover letter;
- Lists of publications and presentations, and of teaching experience (if applicable);
- Relevant certificates;
- Summary of the master thesis (5 pages max.);
- Names of two references.