Deadline: 31 January 2016
Open to: researchers with PhD-level qualifications in a related field
Renumeration: based on research proposal may not exceed CHF 45,000
What factors condition behaviour in armed conflict? What is the distance between knowing IHL and respecting it? What leads a combatant to comply with the law or not? Ten years after the publication of “Roots of Behaviour in War”, the ICRC is embarking on a new ambitious endeavour to update that study. ICRC is bringing together a group of researchers to identify sources of influence on the formation of ‘norms of restraint’ in armed conflict within State armed forces and non-State armed groups.
The ICRC project team will convene a meeting with the successful candidates in Geneva in April 2016, to finalize research design. Data collection should be completed in 2016 and final reports submitted by mid-2017.
- Previous research experience and contact with State armed forces or non-State armed groups;
- PhD-level qualifications in a related field;
- Publication record on issues related to armed forces or non-State armed groups;
- Proven skills in the management of research projects, ideally with experience in multi-disciplinary research teams;
- High-quality research proposal, with specific emphasis on the feasibility of the methodology for primary source-data collection;
- Value-for-money budget.
- Please submit a detailed proposal, including a budget for the field research;
- Value for money is a criterion for selection;
- Each researcher is expected to study two groups of arms bearers of a specific type;
- The proposed budget, which must include both field expenses and the researcher’s salary, may not exceed CHF 45,000.
How to apply?
Mode of application is online.
- Applications must be submitted as a Word or PDF document, using the application template, no later than midnight (CET) on 31 January 2016. You may present the budget in an Excel document if you wish;
- Proposals exceeding the page limit may be disqualified;
- Please do not submit documents that are not requested;
- They will only contact you if you have been short-listed;
- Please send any questions concerning the application to [email protected].
More information can be found on the official web-page.