Deadline: 10 February 2016
Open to: candidates with first degree in an environmental/ecological science and at least two years’ work experience
Remuneration: CHF 5,000 gross per month ( EUR 4,500)
The IUCN Global Species Programme is seeking a Junior Professional to help implement a rapidly-growing workload in the Communications team. The role will be very much that of a flexible ‘all-rounder’, whose tasks will vary greatly according to the Programme’s evolving needs.
Duties and responsibilities
- Assist in delivering the IUCN Species Communications and on-line fundraising strategies, including liaising with the Global Communications and Strategic Partnership units;
- Assist in the development and management of the on-line fundraising campaigns for The IUCN Red List including content updates to the fundraising site and managing regular mail-outs using Mailchimp;
- Write press releases and news stories for the website including preparation of press releases for updates of the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species™;
- Regular media monitoring;
- Timely management of media enquiry emails, contacting appropriate experts to respond to media requests;
- Provide significant input into the further development of the social media strategy;
- Manage the IUCN Red List social media accounts – Twitter and Facebook;
- Regularly update content on the Species website in consultation with the Marketing and Communications Officer;
- Play a major role in the production of the Species Annual report. This includes managing the process from collection and writing of content to overseeing the layout and final proof reading.
- A first degree in an environmental/ecological science;
- At least two years’ work experience in a relevant field/organization;
- Passionate about communications;
- Excellent editing and writing skills in English;
- Good knowledge of international media; experience in media relations highly desirable;
- Social media knowledge and experience – Facebook, Twitter;
- Experience in website cms management considered a significant advantage;
- Flexibility to cope with changing priorities and tasks;
- Happy working both independently and as part of a team;
- Proven ability to take initiative and think ahead;
- Sensitive to working with people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds;
- Proficient in the use of standard Microsoft Office computer programmes and ideally experience with using photoshop and Indesign;
- Fluency in French and/or Spanish is beneficial;
- A high level of diplomacy and confidence in interacting with the media, external partners, and representing IUCN.
The contract will initially be for 12 months with the possibility of a six-month extension.
The gross monthly salary for this position is CHF 5,000 (EUR 4,500), subject to deductions for social security contributions and second-pillar pension, and before tax.
How to apply?
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System. Deadline for applying is 10 February 2016.
For more information please visit the official website.