Deadline: 1 April 2016
Open to: undergraduate students from all over the world
Venue: 4-7 August 2016, Budapest, Hungary
Over the last few decades a number of experiences have shown that modern politics has by no means become entirely secular. Among the most noteworthy developments were the Islamic Revolution in Iran, the active role of the Vatican in world politics, the renewed political influence of orthodox clergy in Russia and elsewhere, multiple forms of religious terror and violence, the proclamation of a caliphate in the Middle East, the growing power of Buddhist and Hindu political movements in East and Southeast Asia, and the politicization of evangelical Christianity in Africa and the Americas.
The Department of History and the Department of Medieval Studies at Central European University in Budapest, take this development as an occasion to invite applications for an Undergraduate Conference under the theme “Faith and Power”.
They will consider proposals from all subdisciplines (political history, social history, economic history, military history, cultural history, gender history, religious history, intellectual history, art history, etc.) and all historical periods. However, preference will be given to proposals with interesting approaches and well defined research questions, objectives, and findings.
They are seeking for paper proposals from undergraduate students from all around the world, who are interested in any aspect of religion and politics from a historical perspective.
- Papers should be 2000 to max. 3000 words long;
- Deadline: Monday, July 25, 2016;
- At the conference participants will present a 10-12 minute summary of their papers in thematic panels;
- Guidelines to write the paper.
Conference participants must register for the conference by Tuesday, May 31, 2016 by paying the conference fee (payment instructions will be announced soon). The conference fee is 75 EUR and includes:
- Three nights’ accommodation in single rooms in the CEU Residence Center;
- Coffee breaks;
- Guided tours;
- 72 hour public transport pass;
- Free Wi-Fi.
After the conference a committee will select the five best papers, which will be published in a special issue of the Annual of Medieval Studies at CEU.
How to apply?
- The language of the conference and the papers is English;
- Proposals should not exceed 250 words;
- Only individual papers will be considered. We cannot accept joint proposals;
- Deadline: Friday, 1 April 2016. Late applications will be considered on a case by case basis;
- Students will be notified about the acceptance of their proposal by 30 April 2016.
In order to apply you should fill in the online registration form.
For inquiries, please send e-mail at [email protected].
For more information please visit the official website.