Deadline: 26 June 2016
Open to: students and new graduates from the Western Balkan and EU who are especially interested in democracy, human rights and the rule of law
Venue: 4 to 17 September 2016 in Ulcinj/Montenegro
The goal of the Academy is to promote academic education on democracy, human rights and the rule of law in the Western Balkan region as a specific focus. The Academy establishes a link connecting academia and practice, promoted through an interdisciplinary and interactive format.
The intense two-week programme includes courses and workshops on different thematic fields such as concepts of democracy in a globalized world, the international and regional human rights instruments and standards (UN, CoE, OSCE, EU), the relevance of the rule of law, the efficiency of judicial systems, and also includes special human rights related topics.
Lecturers of the Straniak Academy are experienced professors, regional and international experts and practitioners with various academic backgrounds, like Manfred Nowak, Hannes Tretter. The students will not only have the opportunity to listen to presentations, but will also be actively involved in the lectures and invited to participate in discussions, working groups, a role-play and evening talks (more in preliminary programme HERE).
- Advanced students and new graduates with different academic backgrounds who are especially interested in democracy, human rights and the rule of law;
- The target group are in particular students from the Western Balkan region (Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia) and from Austria and other EU Member States;
- Students coming from other countries nearby (for example the Black Sea and the Caucasus region) are also welcome to apply, however preference will be given to applicants from the above-mentioned regions.
- The participation fee is EUR 150 for students and new graduates from the Western Balkan region and EUR 250 from EU and other countries;
- Travel costs have to be borne by the participants themselves;
- Accommodation including half board (breakfast and lunch or dinner) for the two weeks is covered by the Academy.
- Costs for the courses (including coffee breaks) are also covered by organizers.
How to apply?
If you are interested in applying download the documents and fill in the application form. Send it, together with your CV and a motivation letter in one PDF DOCUMENT until 26 June 2016 to the Straniak Academy team: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
The Straniak Academy team will inform you about the selection results until 30 June 2015. The registration fee has to be payed not later than 26 July 2016 (day of payment will be considered), confirming your