Deadline: 1 July 2016
Open to: master’s degree (or equivalent) in physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, medicine or related fields
Scholarships: PhD positions are paid with 50% of TVL 13 (approx. EUR 1,800 gross)
PIER Helmholtz Graduate School is offering six PhD positions for talented and motivated students in the research fields of PIER. Positions are open for the applicants of all nationalities, who have not started their PhD project yet and who have a Master´s degree or a forecast with grade B+ or better.
The overreaching aim of establishing the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School was to transform the public higher education to improve quality and efficiency of teaching and learning, creating a world-class higher learning institution.
PIER PhD projects cover the areas of Particle and Astroparticle Physics, Nanoscience, Photon Science, Infection and Structural Biology. The PIER Helmholtz Graduate School is a graduate education program of Universität Hamburg in cooperation with Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY).
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for these positions:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, medicine or related fields. Applications from students who are nearing graduation are also welcome;
- Master’s degree or diploma certificate with a transcript of record;
- PIER Helmholtz Graduate School accepts applications from candidates who have not started their PhD project yet and who have a Master´s degree or a forecast with grade B+ or better;
- Women are particularly encouraged to submit applications as 3 PIER PhD positions shall be filled with female PhD students in physical sciences;
- PIER Helmholtz Graduate School sees diversity as an asset; applications from persons with disabilities are welcome.
- PhD positions are paid with 50% of TVL 13 (approx. EUR 1,800 gross);
- There are no tuition fees.
How to apply?
The mode of application is online. Please upload latest by 1 July 2016 the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- Statement of Purpose (SoP) / Motivation letter;
- Bachelor and Master Certificates including Transcript of Records. If certificates and Transcript of Records are not English or German, please submit additionally a translation of these documents.
Master students currently reaching the completion of their studies: forecast of expected grades and Transcript of Records
and if applicable:
- List of publications;
- Diploma Supplement;
- The offer of supervision.
For more information, please visit the official website.