Deadline: 13 July 2016
Open to: candidates with university degree and knowledge of and an interest in learning more about issues concerning undocumented migrants and human rights
Remuneration: EUR 751 per month
PICUM, the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants, is a network of individuals and organisations working to ensure social justice and human rights for undocumented migrants. Based in Brussels, the PICUM secretariat leads the network’s advocacy, awareness raising, and research activities.
The candidate will play an important role in PICUM’s daily work, mainly assisting with administrative tasks, event organisation and membership related activities. The work experience will provide an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the different facets of operating a transnational NGO network, and promoting social and policy change in the area of human rights for undocumented migrants.
For the period from 5 September 2016– 28 February 2017, the candidate will contribute to PICUM’s work in the following areas:
- Support the PICUM staff with general administrative tasks including contact and database management, information requests and coordination of volunteers;
- Assist with organising PICUM internal and external events, including PICUM’s thematic working group meetings and liaise with PICUM members;
- Assist the Communications Officer in the production of PICUM’s newsletters, updating website content and management of other communication tools;
- Assist PICUM’s Advocacy with background research, contact management, drafting of papers and other written materials, attend and report on events in Brussels;
- Update PICUM’s library and e-library by classifying and entering into the database various printed and electronic materials on undocumented migrants;
- Translations (depending on language skills);
- Working flexibly alongside other members of the PICUM team to take on reasonable tasks as appropriate over and above those set above.
- University degree;
- Knowledge of and an interest in learning more about issues concerning undocumented migrants and human rights;
- Native French or native Spanish with and an excellent level of English (orally and written) required. Other languages an asset;
- Ability to work independently, flexibly and under tight deadlines;
- Good planning and organisational skills;
- Strong writing and computer skills are preferred;
- Some experience in event organisation preferred.
PICUM will provide the candidate with a Belgian contract of ‘Professional Immersion’ (‘Convention d’immersion professionnelle’) with a remuneration of EUR 751 per month.
The work is full time and is carried out in PICUM’s office in Brussels.
How to apply?
The deadline for applications is 13 July 2016 at midnight (CET). Please send your CV and cover letter in English addressed to Ms. Miriam Abdullahi at the following address: [email protected], with last name, first name and PICUM traineeship in the subject line.
For more information please visit the official website.