Deadline: 30 October 2016
Open to: female students of African origin, living and studying in Africa
Scholarship: full scholarship including uition fee, monthly allowance for one academic year
WAAW Foundation awards annual scholarships to students who demonstrate need and prove their status as full time students in a STEM related course in an African University. Recipients will be required to start a STEM Outreach Chapter at their university. The overarching goal of this program is to bridge the secondary school to college continuum for STEM and Computer Science in Africa and to ultimately increase the pipeline of African girls entering STEM careers. The STEM Cell project recruits, trains, equips and facilitates a cell consisting of 9 – 12 African University students to provide STEM tutoring, computer science training and mentoring to 3 – 5 public secondary schools in their communities. WAAW currently operates 17 STEM cells in 10 African countries, with over 200 fellows. The cells impact over 10,000 youth each year.
List of accepted courses: Agriculture, Aircraft engineering, Architecture, Bio Medical, Biochemistry, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Civil engineering and urbanism, Computer Science, Construction technology and management , Economics, Electronics Engineering, Engineering Agriculture, Environmental Health, Environmental Science, Food Science Technology, Genetics, Geography, Geology, Industrial Chemistry, IT, Math related fields, Natural Science, Pharmacy, Physics, Science related fields, Statistics, Technology, Zoology.
- Female students of African origin, living and studying in Africa;
- Currently enrolled in undergraduate B.S.degree program;
- Studying STEM related courses in a University or college in Africa;
- Demonstrable financial need, and excellent Academic Record;
- Below the age of 32 years;
- Graduation date is after December of award year.
WAAW foundation’s annual scholarship initiative is aimed at supporting need based African female STEM-focused college education. Full scholarship includes: Tuition fee; Monthly allowance for one academic year.
How to Apply?
Your application will include the following:
- Online application form filled out completely;
- Personal and Contact Information;
- Educational background and Family Information;
- Statement of need should describe why scholarship funds are needed and what the funds will be used for if received;
- Essays, in 500 words or less, please write an essay on your future career goals and how you expect the WAAW foundation scholarship will assist in fulfilling those goals;
- In 300 words or less, please describe what you believe about female education in Africa and its impact on research, development or advancement in African economies.
- Describe in ten or less sentences why you need a scholarship. Tell us about your need or personal/family/financial situation and how the funds from WAAW scholarship will assist your education and/or career plans.
- Two academic/professional references.
Please visit our FAQ page for answers to your questions.
More information read at the official website.