Deadline: 30 April 2017
Open to: anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope
Awards: cash prizes/USD 3,000/ USD 2,000/ USD 1,000
The Nikon International Small World Competition first began in 1975 as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines. The subject matter is unrestricted and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution, and mixed techniques. Entries submitted to Nikon are then judged by an independent panel of experts who are recognized authorities in the area of photomicrography and photography. These entries are judged on the basis of originality, informational content, technical proficiency and visual impact.
Entries will be judged on:
- Informational Content;
- Technical Proficiency;
- Visual Impact.
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes or photographic equipment;
- Movies must be captured using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of compound or stereoscopic microscopes;
- Any type of specimen is acceptable. All techniques of light microscopy are acceptable;
- Maximum file size is 100MB, and it is recommended the file size be no smaller than 3MB although smaller file sizes will not be disqualified;
- Movies should be no longer than 2 minutes in length.
- 1st: USD 3,000—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment;
- 2nd: USD 2,000—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment;
- 3rd: USD 1,000—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
Prize money must be redeemed for Nikon products only, directly from Nikon USA, and cannot be redeemed for cash.
How to apply?
In order to apply please register here.
For mor information please read the official call.