Deadline: 24 October 2016
Open to: young scholars with demonstrable promise of excellence will be considered
Fellowship: senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of EUR 2,500 and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of EUR 1,400 to help support their stay in Budapest
The Institute for Advanced Study at CEU (IAS CEU) is pleased to invite applications for its core junior and senior fellowship programs for the academic year 2017/18. Fellowships are available in all research areas of the social sciences and humanities, broadly defined. Fellowships run for the full 9-month period (Oct-June), for the 3-month “short fall semester” (October-December), the 5-months “long fall semester” (Oct-February) or the 6-month spring semester (Jan-June).
Each year, IAS CEU selects for this program some 15 fellows from an average of over 300 applicants. Fellows are chosen by a rigorous selection process, which includes stages of pre-selection and peer reviews as well as a final decision made by an independent, interdisciplinary and international Academic Advisory Board. The Institute is committed to the pursuit of cutting edge interdisciplinary scholarship and will seek innovative research proposals. Young scholars with demonstrable promise of excellence will be considered; established senior scholars are expected to have solid records of first rate scholarship. A primary criterion for selection is the expectation that each fellow’s stay at the Institute will yield original and significant research results.
- Hold a Ph.D. or equivalent in the social sciences or humanities at the time of their application;
- Only those with publications in internationally recognized scholarly outlets will be considered;
- Junior fellows must have obtained a Ph.D. degree issued in 2009 or later and must apply for the junior fellowship. Candidates who obtained their Ph.D. before 2009 are considered “senior” and must apply for the senior fellowship;
- Full time CEU employees and students are not eligible to apply for 7 years after the ending of their studies/contract (degrees must have been received and contracts must have ended by December 31, 2010 or earlier);
- Part time/temporary employees of CEU are not eligible for 3 years after their contract ended (their contract must have ended by December 31, 2013 or earlier);
- All nationalities are encouraged to apply;
- Former fellows of IAS CEU or former Collegium Budapest are not eligible to apply until a period of 7 years has passed since their previous fellowship. Applications may be considered only in exceptional cases;
- Applicants are expected to be able to communicate fluently in English as this is the working language of the Institute and CEU.
Senior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of EUR 2,500 and junior fellows receive a net monthly stipend of EUR 1,400 to help support their stay in Budapest. In addition, all fellows and their families receive housing at the Raoul Wallenberg Guesthouse. Utilities at the Guesthouse will be charged to the Fellows. Fellows are also responsible for their own travel and health care provisions.
How to apply?
You will be required to submit the following the materials:
- A completed online application form;
- A cover letter;
- The abstract of your research project (max. 150 words);
- A description of your research project (min. 1,000 – max. 2,500 words; the reference list is not included in the word count);
- A CV including a list of up to 5 (in case of junior applicants) and up to 15 (in the case of senior applicants) of your most important publications. For junior applicants ONLY: name and email address of two referees (for potential reference).
For more information please read the official call.