Deadline: 10 January 2017
Open to: PhD students and postdoctoral researchers from Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia (FYROM), Montenegro and Serbia conducting part of their studies/research in Sweden within the field of social sciences
Scholarship: SEK 15,000 (EUR 1,514) per month for PhD students and SEK 18,000 (EUR 1,816) per month for postdoctoral researchers
The SI Scholarships for the Western Balkans Programme aims at supporting advanced level studies and research within the field of social sciences in order to forge closer links between the Western Balkans and the European Union, and to contribute to strengthened democracy in the region.
The programme offers about 4 scholarships for the year 2017/2018 for part of PhD studies and postdoctoral research in Sweden.
The programme aims to contribute to closer relations between the Western Balkans and the EU through the promotion of democratic development in the region. Ideal candidates are ambitious young professionals with outstanding academic qualifications and a clear idea of how a research period in Sweden would benefit their country.
The scholarships are intended for PhD students and postdoctoral researchers from Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Macedonia (FYROM), Montenegro and Serbia conducting part of their studies/research in Sweden within the field of social sciences with a special focus on any of the following thematic areas:
- Democratic accountability;
- Gender equality, anti-discrimination;
- Human rights, tolerance, minority groups;
- Independent media;
- Pluralistic civil society;
- Rule of law;
- Transparency, anti-corruption.
Candidates belonging to any of the following categories may apply:
- PHD STUDENT, applying for a part of his/her ongoing PhD studies to be carried out in Sweden (12 months maximum);
- POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER, with priority given to holders of a PhD degree from 2012 or later (12 months maximum).
The scholarship is free of tax and amounts to SEK 15,000 per month for PhD students and SEK 18,000 per month for postdoctoral researchers and senior scientists. The scholarship cannot be prolonged or extended.
- The scholarship is designed to cover living costs for the scholarship holder (there are no grants for family members. No funding for bench fees is provided);
- The granted scholarship period cannot be altered or extended; however, it is possible to apply for subsequent funding through a new call for applications;
- In case of a postponed arrival date, the scholarship period can be decreased accordingly;
- There is no travel grant included in the scholarship offer.
How to Apply?
Please read the instructions for more information on the application procedure and to access the online application portal. The scholarship application call for the academic year 2017/2018 will be open from TUESDAY 1 NOVEMBER 2016 TO TUESDAY 10 JANUARY 2017, 24:00 CET.
Scholarship offers will be sent to successful candidates by the end of May 2017 at the latest, and candidates are required to respond to the offer within 14 days. Please note that all decisions are sent by email only.
More information on the official website.