Deadline: 11 December 2016
Open to: law graduates with proven knowledge of and interest in international and EU asylum and human rights law
Remuneration: paid internship for 11 months (brutto 751 EUR)
The European Council on Refugees and Exiles is offering an 11-month legal internship. The purpose of this position is to assist ECRE’s Legal Support and Litigation Team with legal research on specific topics relating to international protection, contributing to the EDAL database and activities by the ELENA network.
- Assist the Senior Legal Officer in undertaking legal research;
- Draft relevant documents;
- Monitor international and national legal developments;
- Assist with coordinating, maintaining, and developing the European Legal Network;
- Assist with the planning and organisation of ELENA training courses;
- Assist in the running of internal ECRE meetings, including taking the minutes of those meetings;
- Take part in the preparation of at least one external ECRE meeting or conference and provide organisational support, such as taking minutes of working groups;
- Contribute to the Asylum Information Database (AIDA) and the European Database of Asylum Law (EDAL);
- Assist with administrative / miscellaneous tasks as agreed with the Senior Legal Officer.
- Have a University degree in law;
- Proven knowledge of and interest in international and EU asylum and human rights law;
- Fluent written and spoken English;
- Working knowledge of other European languages is an advantage;
- Have good interpersonal skills;
- Good knowledge of EU institutions is an advantage.
Remuneration and benefits
- Paid internship for 11 months (Brutto 751 EUR) (Belgian Contract–“Contrat belge d’immersion professionelle”);
- The Legal Assistant will be entitled to 26 days annual leave if he or she has worked for the entire previous year in Belgium. If service during the previous year in Belgium is less than the full year, annual leave will be calculated pro rata. Regardless of the legal entitlement to annual leave in Belgium, ECRE will provide 6 days of extra-legal holidays a year;
- The applicant needs to have permission to work in Belgium, unfortunately, ECRE is not in a position to obtain a work permit for the applicant.
How to Apply?
Candidates should send a copy of their curriculum vitae (2 pages) and an application form to Julia Zelvenska ([email protected]) before 11 December 2016 stating “Application Legal Assistant” in the subject heading. The documents should be sent in PDF or Word formats, with the name of the applicant in the title of each document sent.
More information on the official website.