Deadline: differs according to the country
Open to: interested graduate from countries Japanese Embassies, Consulates and Permanent Missions is established
Scholarship: monthly allowance, travel and tuition fees
Japanese Government Scholarship aims is to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between your country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the wider world. Applications are open for MEXT Research Scholarships available for international students to study graduate courses at Japanese universities either as a (non-degree) student or regular student for a degree under the Japanese Government Scholarship Program.
- Have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the foreign country and give up their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan. Applicant screening will be conducted at the Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of applicant’s nationality;
- Must have been born on or after April 2, 1982;
- Be a graduate from a Japanese university or have academic ability equal or superior to that of a Japanese university graduate. A person will be deemed to have academic ability equal or superior to that of a university graduate;
- Be willing to learn Japanese. Applicants must be interested in Japan and be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan. Applicants must also have the ability to do research and adapt to living in Japan.
- Allowance 1,200 USD – (Research Students(non-regular students) and (regular students in Master’s courses or professional graduate courses);
- Traveling Costs (The recipient will be provided, according to his/her itinerary and route as designated by MEXT, with an economy-class airplane ticket from the international airport nearest to his/her home country residence to the New Tokyo International Airport or any other international airport that the appointed university usually uses;
- Tuition and Other Fees (Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by the Japanese government).
How to Apply?
Applicants must submit the following documents to the Japanese diplomatic missions by the required date. The submitted documents will not be returned.
- Application Form;
- Placement Preference Form;
- Field of Study and Research Program Plan;
- Certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university attended (transcript issued either by alma mater or by applicant’s national government);
- Graduation certificate or degree certificate of the last university attended (or an attested document certifying that the applicant will graduate from the school, where applicable);
- Recommendation from the president/dean or the adviser of the last university attended;
- Medical certificate;
- Abstracts of theses;
- Recommendation from the present employer (if currently employed);
- Photograph(s) showing applicant’s own works of art or a recorded CD of musical performance (only for those majoring in fine arts or music).
For more information, please visit the official call.