Deadline: 31 January 2017
Open to: students enrolled in university or college in a German-speaking country (including foreign students)
Remuneration: includes coverage of a round-trip Economy flight ticket between Europe and the country
The Association for AgriCulture & Ecology (Agrecol e.V.) in Germany offers internship placements and travel stipends for students enrolled in universities and colleges in German-speaking countries. In the coming year (2017), the Association can arrange two internship placements in ecologically oriented agriculture with the partner organisations Agrecol-Andes (Bolivia) and Agrecol-Afrique (Senegal).
The internship offers students an opportunity to acquire practical knowledge in sustainable agriculture and land management in a developing country. By living and working in another sociocultural environment, students can also gain valuable intercultural experiences.
Students eligible to apply for the internship placement and travel stipend are those who:
- Are enrolled in a university or college in a German-speaking country (including foreign students);
- Have basic knowledge and/or experience in managing organised groups (for small-scale production, processing and marketing of agricultural products);
- Have their own laptop or notebook that they can use during the internship;
- Have basic knowledge about (ecological) agriculture;
- Are interested and sensitive in working with smallholder farmers in different sociocultural contexts;
- Are dynamic, open and committed;
- Show high levels of self-reliance and self-organizing capacity;
- Have a sufficient command of Spanish (Bolivia)/ French (Senegal) to be able to work in this language (interview will be made by Skype with Agrecol–Andes or Afrique);
- Are under 30 years of age.
Support is provided for up to three interns each year and consists of the following:
- Coverage of a round-trip Economy flight ticket between Europe and the country in which the host organisation is operating;
- Availability of at least one member of Agrecol Association as well as previous interns to provide advice and respond to questions before and during the internship;
- Invitation of the student, after completion of the internship, to a weekend seminar of Agrecol Association in Germany or a neighbouring country so that the student can present a photo report to the members about his/her experiences as intern; Agrecol Association covers the student’s travel and accommodation costs for the weekend.
How to Apply?
- The application, consisting of a convincing letter of motivation in German and Spanish (Bolivia) / French (Senegal);
- Concrete details about the desired period of internship;
- Curriculum vitae in German and Spanish (Bolivia) / French (Senegal);