Deadline: 1 March 2017
Open to: young media professionals from the United States, Canada and Germany
Fellowship: stipend to cover living expenses + travel expenses or a travel voucher
Each year, outstanding media professionals from the United States, Canada and Germany are awarded an opportunity to report from and travel in each other’s countries as part of The Arthur F. Burns Fellowship Program. The program offers young journalists the opportunity to share professional expertise with their colleagues across the Atlantic while working as “foreign correspondents” for their hometown news organizations. Through this exchange, participants learn and share professional skills with one another, and gain experience working abroad as “foreign correspondents” for their home news organizations.
- Media professionals from the United States, Canada and Germany who are employed by a newspaper, news magazine, broadcast station, news agency or who work freelance and/or online. Applicants must have demonstrated journalistic talent and a strong interest in North American-European affairs;
- Have two years of professional, full-time journalism experience;
- German language proficiency is not required, but it is encouraged.;
- Young journalists age 40 and under.
- Each U.S. Fellow receives a USD 4,000 stipend to cover living expenses during the 9-week-long fellowship in Germany;
- Participants also receive USD 1,200 for travel expenses or a travel voucher, and the program also pays living expenses during the orientation in Washington, D.C.;
- Those fellows on the 5-6 week program will receive an amount proportional to their fellowship length.
How to apply?
U.S. applications are due on March 1, 2017. The application can be found here. Canadian applications are due on March 1, 2017. Canadian applicants should go to the Massey College website for more information and to submit their application. German applications are due on January 31, 2017. German applicants should go to the IJP website for more information and to submit their application.
More information on the official website.