Deadline: 22 February 2017
Open to: graduation from a PhD program
Scholarship: 55,000 USD annual funding for fellows
Mitacs Elevate is a two-year training program for postdoctoral fellows, in which participants lead and undertake an industrially relevant research project in any discipline. During this time, Fellows receive experiential training in R&D directly through their industry-academic research collaboration and leadership training and business acumen through the program’s training curriculum. With a suite of skills development workshops and activities unique to Mitacs Elevate, Fellows learn about communication, leadership & management and other critical business skills relevant to R&D management careers in academia and industry.
These training opportunities complement Fellows’ specialized expertise and ensure they are ready to lead large-scale research project throughout their careers regardless of their academic disciplines.
- Postdoctoral fellows may apply if their date of graduation from a PhD program is no more than five years prior to the proposed start date of the research project;
- Fellows who have held an Accelerate award as a Master’s or PhD student are also eligible to apply;
- Postdoctoral Fellows who have previously held an Elevate award are not eligible;
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents and international applicants are eligible to apply;
- Be based at a university located in the same province as the partner organisation for the duration of the fellowship;
- Supervisors must hold a faculty appointment and are eligible for Tri-Agency funds.
The two-year postdoctoral award provides:
- 55,000 USD annual funding (plus 7,500 USD per year non-cash value in training);
- Exclusive, customized professional development training;
- Long-term collaborative research project with a non-academic partner.
Fellows receive a stipend/salary of at least 50,000 USD per year. Partners contribute 25,000 USD per year and Mitacs contributes 30,000 USD per year for a total grant of 55,000 USD per year. This includes support for fellows and up to 5,000 USD in research costs for equipment, additional research personnel, conference travel and publication. A 5,000 USD contribution from the academic supervisor or university is required in lieu of provincial funding.
How to Apply?
A completed Application Package consists of the following:
- A completed application form;
- A memorandum signed by all parties, including relevant university research office, submitted as a scanned PDF;
- Applicant’s CV;
- Proposed academic supervisor’s CV;
- Three letters of support maximum:;
- One (1) letter of support from the proposed academic supervisor;
- One (1) letter of support from a former supervisor or person familiar with the fellow’s research expertise;
- One (1) letter of support from an eligible partner organization on partner organization letterhead that confirms the amount of the financial commitment;
- Any supplementary documents as applicable
More information on the official webpage