Deadline: 9 March 2017
Open to: candidates having a master’s degree in a field politics, International Relations, law, anthropology, social sciences, or European Studies
Remuneration: indication from 2,191 to 2,801 Euros gross per month
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FMG) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is the largest educational and research institution in the social sciences in the Netherlands. The Faculty serves 7,500 students in numerous Bachelor and Master programmes in Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Communication Science, Psychology, Social Geography, Planning and International Development Studies, and Educational Sciences. The academic staff are employed in education as well as research. There are over 1,100 employees in the Faculty, which resides in a number of buildings in the centre of Amsterdam.
- Have obtained a (research) master’s degree in a field relevant to the theme of the research, in particular politics, International Relations, law, anthropology, social sciences, or European Studies;
- Are persons with initiative, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently as well as in a team;
- Have well-developed analytical skills as well as creativity and perseverance;
- Possess good academic writing, presentation and organisational skills;
- Can demonstrate a strong interest in the topic of this PhD project;
- Are familiar with (some of the) academic literatures relevant to the project;
- Have experience with qualitative research methodology, especially participant observation and interviews;
- Are able to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing;
- Have a strong interest in pursuing an academic career.
Knowledge of (written and spoken) Dutch is an asset.
- Two PhD candidates will carry out their doctoral research in the framework of the ERC project “FOLLOW:
- Following the Money from Transaction to Trial: Financial Security after 9/11″, led by Prof. Marieke de Goede;
- They will be co-supervised by Dr. Rocco Bellanova (position 1) and Dr. Beste Isleyen (position 2);
- Salary indication 2,191 to 2,801 Euros gross per month
How to Apply?
Applications must contain:
- A motivation letter;
- A full CV;
- An official transcript of the grades during your studies as well as your diploma;
- A research plan of around 2,000 words. The research plan should outline how you would approach the research topic, including the kinds of questions the project might ask, the methods it uses and the theories to which it would connect;
- Two names of referees who may be contacted for a letter of reference;
- Applications must be sent to [email protected] before 9 March 2017;
- Emailed applications should mention vacancy number in the subject line and should contain the documents as an attachment (in one single pdf-file);
- Interviews for this position will be held end March / early April 2017.
More information on the official website.